Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help for v8 conversion

need help for v8 conversion

today i just bought an 88 feiro formula. its automatic. the reason i bought it automatic cus it was cheap price.. lol
    so now i want to do a v8 conversion but i wanna keep it automatic. i heard a few guys doing a 6 speed automatic trans. but i havent seen any one really talk about it.
    so here i am.
    can it be done???
    i talked to the v8archie guy and he says it cant be done. even tho he advertises in his page he said it cant be done and no does it..

has any one done this?

You can put a Northstar automatic into it. Go to a you pull it place a buy a complete take out. I have done it (very fast)
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

would it be easier than a LS(x) series engine???
    the reason i was looking into the LS engines is cus im more familiar with them. and they sell a lot of bolt ons for them.

I'd trust V8 ARchie - he knows Fieros. What he sells is a 6 speed MANUAL conversion kit, and that's likely what you've heard people talking about. www,fiero.nl is the place to go for fiero research. If it can be done to a fiero, someone has done it there.

I have never heard of a 6 speed automatic in a Fiero. The 4T65E family of transmissions will bolt right up to the Fiero engine. It's a 4 speed with overdrive. For an LSX, it would need a V* kit with adapter to mate transmission to the engine. Check FieroAddiction.com for info on the 4t65E transmission swap.

It all depends on your goals with horsepower. The best bang for the buck is the 3800 Supercharged V6, which comes mated to a 4t65E (or similar) transmission. The swap would be relatively easy.
    An early 90's Cadillac 4.9 V8 is also an option, but there aren't many aftermarket upgrades, so you're stuck with about 200-220 horsepower, which is still pretty quick in a small, light Fiero.

Is money an issue? I have Fieroaddictions N* GT with a stock 4t65e hd and we are putting the finishing touches on my boosted ls4 in my G28. We plan on putting 15 lbs boost to the ls4 and 4t65e hd. I've broken a stock input shaft and a 300m input shaft so far. This tranny has an aermet 100 input shaft and everything that cartuning could put into it. I've been a believer in the 4t65e hd because that's what GM racing used in their 8 second four cylinder. If you want to stay stock and can live with the extra 100 lbs then the N* transmission would be the way to go. I'm planning on 11 seconds at least in the quarter. This summer should tell. I just wish that I could catch that electric Fiero, but that's never going to happen. There is a thread on pennocks about a guy doing the 6t65e with an ls and he works for a transmission controller company. The last I heard he has it all figured out except for the tranny electronics, but that's his profession so I expect him to solve it.
    Last edited by dratts1; 04-01-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks guys for all the info..
    I think I'm going for the v8 Archie conversion mated it with the 4t65..
    dratts. Does the trans bolt right into the stock mounts or should I be customized
    About money been an issue ?? Well I'm planning on doing this the right way but I'm going to take my time on it as well.
    so it kinda is not but I'm not gonna be buying everything at once..
    Also the guy testing the 6speed automatic. 6t75 I think it is.. Well he's from fast fiero.com I emailed him and they replied that they are not open for business..

Dratts1... How hard was it to put in ure ls4..???
    ive been doing a lot of research and Im starting to thing that the ls4 is going to be my best set up. On any other ls engine I would have to run an electric water pump which I'm not to comftarble with.
    so my thinking now is. Instead of paying all the money for conversion kits just buy a turbo kit for it.

Joe Sokol sells the mounts and the wiring harness for the ls4. I wanted to match the hp of the lambo. That was my sole reason for boosting the ls4. Honestly the stock 300 hp is easily enough. If you stay stock, a TEP build would be more than adequate. I had to drop another $3000 into the tranny, and after I see what it will do in the 1/4 and document my time along with documenting the hp, I plan on lowering the boost from 15 lbs to 5-8 lbs. I'm 71years old and I would like to keep my license as long as I can.

thats what im trying to achieve my self. close the hp of a lambo. i dont wouldnt want my car to look good and when a honda pulls up to leave me behind. u know what i mean?
    im not gonna be using it for racing but it will be nice to have all that power.. i emailed joe. hopefully he gets back at me with good news.
    i would really like to go with an ls2 just cus all the bolt on options. im still doing a whole lot of research.
    i just wouldnt wanna change my set up later .

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1 View Post
    Joe Sokol sells the mounts and the wiring harness for the ls4. I wanted to match the hp of the lambo. That was my sole reason for boosting the ls4. Honestly the stock 300 hp is easily enough. If you stay stock, a TEP build would be more than adequate. I had to drop another $3000 into the tranny, and after I see what it will do in the 1/4 and document my time along with documenting the hp, I plan on lowering the boost from 15 lbs to 5-8 lbs. I'm 71years old and I would like to keep my license as long as I can.
    I chose a 3800 n/a and added my own turbo etc. I have at full boost a little over 600hp (very streetable). I am
    64 with a brain tumor. I still like to go fast and the 3800 Buick was a near bolt in. Problem is I am not able to drive a stick and need an automatic.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.