Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using donor side windows for a bubble hatch design, all legal?

Using donor side windows for a bubble hatch design, all legal?

Hi guys, being on a very tight budget and wanting to keep my future car kits priced low, I came up with the idea of using Civic side windows for a rather flatter bubble hatch, kinda like the picture.

Of course I have to use safety tempered glass which can not be cut into ovals but by just overlapping it with the hatch, and securing it properly, should this be a legal setup? thanks.

Last edited by ArashB; 04-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Wouldn't the curved rear window work better (maybe from a different hatchback )

I initially thought of the old Beetle's rear window, but I think these side Civic windows will be more common to find off one car for real cheap.
    I hope to market my kit around the globe using the Nissan 300zx as a donor and parts need to stay cheap. If any really nice round window donors are available then it'd be worth it perhaps... again one needs to factor the size of the two windows and keeping them intact since it cant be cut.
    Last edited by ArashB; 04-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Since these windows are more or less a sunroof than rear windows. I would think molded polycarbonate plastic would work well.

Too many regulation in my province and everywhere else... unfortunately I think I'll have to keep it safety glass.

Just claim sovereign, all is legal!

I was looking into this before but I couldnt find any sovereigns that could travel to other countries.

Something interesting that I ran into though in this long thread... I wonder.

Just get a DOT number and privatize your vehicle. Don't be a sovereign, just privatize your vehicle. You can do the same to your land and avoid those taxes too.
    Sovereign Freeman pulled over by Police for Home Made License Plates

Delorean00 had a great reason to not use tempered, non laminated glass as a windshield. It went something like think about seeing a rock bouncing on the freeway at 80MPH and hitting your tempered windshield. It would instantly break into many little squares and then the rock and little squares would be heading towards your face at 80MPH.
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 04-10-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling

For the rear hatch though tempered is required since in an accident it would be easily breakable to get out of a car wreck.

It's your face, I not use the Honda rear window.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.