Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a custom kit

Creating a custom kit

Ok well the gf is wanting a custom kit made for her car as i can build a ferrari for a mr2 i should be able to make her a kit thats her assumption haha. The question i have is for making a custom kit could i use original say front quater panel and add to it to shape it the way i want than make a mould from it and if this is possible what would i be putting on the add the thickness to carve into the shape i want as it would need to be something that would stick to the metal guard and what this principle work with plastics bars aswell i know its a newb sort of question and i should be way past asking these kind of questions haha but got to keep the missus happy or my kit days may be numbered haha.

yea just use foam on top of the panel to make the shape you want, ,when you have it, use plaster and put your fiberglass to make your part and than your mould, thats it. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by carspancho View Post
    yea just use foam on top of the panel to make the shape you want, ,when you have it, use plaster and put your fiberglass to make your part and than your mould, thats it. good luck
    You make that sound so easy.

what type of foam is used also what is the plaster used for?

You'd want dense foam because the regular ones you find in boxes chip off in large chunks and you loose detail. The Plaster is to stop the fiberglass resin from eating away at the foam I can imagine.

One big problem you'll run into is getting symmetry on both sides. You could make a profitable kit and a happy girl friend if you use computer software to print out in paper, the outline of the front end design in slaps. From there you just trace and cut out the shapes on cheap particle board and fill it with foam to get perfect curves. I can help you with the 3D design if you decide to take that root.

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...aren-f1-5.html
    Last edited by ArashB; 04-27-2012 at 11:58 PM.

the plaster they sell it at home depot, comes in a box ready to spread , i use it to patch my walls, for the foam , i use the 2 part foam, you mix part A with equal part of B,and arash is making you a good offer, i would go with that route with the particle boards.

yeah i was affraid for symetry like u were saying im going to have to think about it abit more and decide where to next haha.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    ArashB : check your PM box

photo for Demo purpose only !!!! Not mine
    Last edited by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER; 04-30-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Anyone here SKILLED enough to help me get this picture of this front cap only ,from 2D to 3D, so wood former,s could be made like the picture above, any an all help would be greatly appreciated ,there are no other picture,s or from any other angles of this picture ,i think this may be impossible with out getting some serious help, i said i would ask anyway Not looking good for me , i have the other parts just need front ONLY..... willing to pay for your time

i would like it to be scaled to the size of a Murcielago front end ,width an length ,if you think you can do it ,i will pay for the wood former s How do i get this front to full size paper templates ,then what process to get it to wood timbers
    Last edited by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER; 05-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Bump ... any ideas on making this front end