Thread: Ff > rr/mr?

Ff > rr/mr?

im looking to start my first kit car, i aint so bothered about bodywork, just the mechanical stuff
    but i was thinking of fitting an engine from a FF car..

im going to build my own chassis, but was planning on fitting a 2.5 V6 Vauxhall Vectra engine or a 1.6 Saxo VTS engine, but what can i do about the transmission? Is there anything i could do so the transmission faces the front instead of the rear?

i could turn the engine around and have 5 gears in reverse and 1 gear forward but it would be pretty useless..

so, any idea's? or will i just need to have it as an FF?

also, another quick Q, if i was to use a 4WD system, could i make it a RWD and blank on the front?

If your engine/transmission came from a car that was originally rear engine like a VW bug or Porsche 911 you need to either flip the ring gear in the differential if the design will allow or you need to flip the whole transmission upside down. The other option is to use a transmission from a front wheel drive car like the Audi or a mid-engine car such as the Porsche Boxster. Some of the AWD transmissions can be converted to be used for mid-engine use but for most it doesn't work well.

What is an FF car?

Front engine - Front Weel Drive

If you use the drive train from a front wheel drive car and move it to the rear you won't need to do anything to the transmission. This is what was done for the Fiero and MR2 cars.

but my question is, say you remove the engine
    (this simialr to the engine i will use)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2r3vwus.jpg

it is the mounted from the front, into the rear. How do i relocate the gear stick/stick shift?
    how do i position so the it doesnt go to the front to middle but from the rear to the middle?

Most mid-engine installations use a cable shifter. You can route the cables from the shifter to the transmission around the engine.

ahh thank you, what what i can find on the interweb, the isnt a 'kit' to fit the cable gear shifter on the engine i want too, or is it a universal kind of thing? where a little bit of modding here and there will do?

sorry for all the questions, im only a young'un (18) and body repair is more my thing, not mechanical

i highly appreciate all your help TxBuilder

It depends on what transmission you are using. I make a shifter kit for the Audi transmissions. The Porsche Boxster S/Cayman is easier to do since it is already a cable shift. Some of the transverse transmissions are cable shift and can be adapted pretty easy. The ones that are rod shift take a little more work but can be done.

You can make it a single rod shifter too if don't want your cables to melt.
    Shifter - BMW V12 to Audi 5000 in a Replica Lamborghini Diablo - YouTube

thank you for that JDinner