Thread: Front suspension settings for 1988

Front suspension settings for 1988

My F40 has 1988 suspension, and I suspect lowered front suspension. The car has limited travel on the front suspension on dippy roads, and will launch the car on a severe roll at high speeds. It is also pulling to the right; which leads me to believe the toe needs adjustment. Anyone know what the toe settings should be on a lowered suspension? I have no computer allignment shop in Mazatlan, Mexico. Thanks in advance, Steve

The toe should be the same even if it is lowered, usually 1/16 to 1/8 total. Check the caster. If it varies from one side to the other that can cause the car to pull to one side. If the car is lowered the roll center has been changed and you might never get it to handle really well. If you are getting uneven tire wear check the camber. When the suspension is lowered it is necessary to reset the camber as the lowering will cause added negative camber.

Here is the stock specs:

Front
    Castor -3.00 degree +/- 0.059
    Camber 0.00 degrees +/- 0.050
    Toe-Out 1/16"

The big trick is getting the castor right when lowered. I can clearly say that when your castor is out, it will pull and it can pull hard. The issue is that the upper a-arm adjust the castor and camber. A little bit off and it will affect both. Take your time and use all of your favorite bad words.

much appreciated

Thankyou much, I realize the more I play with this thing, there are no easy solutions! Steve

An afterthought: tire wear is normal on both front tires; no indication of a problem other than the pull to the right. I am noticing a bit of wear on the outside of the drivers side (left) REAR tire. Any observations? steve

Excessive wear on either the inside or outside of the tire indicates a camber setting problem. The pulling on the front is probably due to a difference in the caster from one side to the other.

A quick trick , sometimes the tires are the problem of the pulling , even if they are new , swap the front tires left to right , right to left and test drive it , I agree that a bad camber will cause a ratio pull , but in order to make it perfect ... Caster has to be almost %100 in place , this would make your car pull not matter what you do !