Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for advice and help

Newbie looking for advice and help

What up to everyone who contributes to this forum. My name is Rey and i'm from northern nj. I was thinking about making a replica mercy and once i bumped into this forum i can def say that i'm willing to go through the trials and tribulations to get it done. I'm a newb to the car kit world so i really don't know how to start this monster of a project. It seems like a lot of work but the reward at the end is very nice from what i see in peoples diaries. I need some help and or advice. I'm thinking of going to CKI an buying the mercy 4 kit. Of course i would take the 14hr drive to their facility so that one i can pay for it cash two i don't have to wait for weeks for it to get to me and three i can make sure i have all parts. The reason I am choosing the mercy 4 is the opinions CKI gave on their website which primarily is because no stretching required and the nissan windshield fits right in among the other reasons they posted. Before i go and buy a donor car or find a hooptie car. My head is full of questions LOL and just wondering if maybe some fine folks on this site could give me some input =) So ill stop yapping and if someone who has some experience could hit me back up i would very much appreciate it. THANKS. Kudos to the people who have finished their projects looks bad f'in ass lol
    Believe!!! "The best feeling in the world is doing the things that was said that you couldn't do"

What is the mercy4 supposed to replicate?
    Do yourself a favor and look at the mercy2 or the dee-low. They are a little closer to what they are replicating.

Please do not buy the murcy-4, it looks very bad...stick to the G28. It may be more work but I wouldnt be caught dead riding in the murcy-4!

My advise is to buy an MR2 donor car in as good of shape as you can find it. Buy the Murcy body kit, and leave the whole car stock underneith including the interior and such.

Probably the best advice we can give you is - Don't build a Lambo replica. There, I said it!
    You really don't have any idea what you are getting into. Like I have said before, "it is not enough to want a lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR."
    They are more work than you can imagine and will cost you much more than you expect. I'm not trying to sound like a heretic. I feel it is better to warn you before you start.
    If you really want to build a "kit", go look at Factory Five. They sell KITS. You actually stand a chance to be driving your build while you still have your sanity, life, and relations with your wife/girlfriend.
    No one can blame you for wanting a Lambo. They are cool. But there is a reason they say those who finish are in the 3% club. That is the percent of those who start a Lambo build and actually finish it. They are not easy.
    If I still haven't deterred you, I wish you good luck and I know you will find plenty of help here for all the issues you will confront.
    Let us know what you do.

RT

Why don't you go to Carlisle this Saturday. There you can see all kinds of kit cars and Factory Five always has a big display. You can also meet up with guys who are building now and find out what it is really like to build one of these.
    Last edited by RT; 05-14-2012 at 10:39 PM.

If you are mechanically inclined and have some welding and body knowledge, it's not hard. The vast majority who never finish are dreamers or people who tought it was a child's puzzle and be done, never to imagine there is electrical and ody welding to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    If you are mechanically inclined and have some welding and body knowledge, it's not hard. The vast majority who never finish are dreamers or people who tought it was a child's puzzle and be done, never to imagine there is electrical and ody welding to be done.
    Just curious, onewickedsvt, how many Lamborghini replicas have you built?
    How long did it take to build them?
    Any pictures of them you could post?

RT

Wow thanks for all the replies. I never thought I would get this many. Is it in carlisle PA by any chance if so send me all the info I def wouldn't mind checking it out. Are any members from here going to go to that show?
    Believe!!! "The best feeling in the world is doing the things that was said that you couldn't do"

Carlisle Import and Kit Nationals - British, French, German, Swedish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Collector, Performance, Parts, Accessories

Take beer and a cooler,
    http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/pdf/20...it_Winners.pdf

I hope to be there again next year with a car that drove 10 hours to get there.

Here are Adrian Burtons pictures from last year. My car is the yellow Diablo.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianb...7626814542855/
    Last edited by jdinner; 05-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.

@RT thanks for the kind inspiring words lol. yes i am aware that it will be a long process but i just helped a friend build a bike from scratch and i know its a very big difference but i did enjoy the project of putting it together. but yes i do know that building a car isn't like building a bike. but no you have yet to deterred me. plus like you said i have the help of you guyz =)

@JETS and @JDINNER the reason why i was going with that mercy 4 kit was because i didn't really want to be cutting chassi of a fiero or a mr2 also i didn't want to cut the front wind shield. but if JETS says it doesn't replicate anything close to a lambo then i wont think of getting the mercy 4 kit. So i checked out that mercy 2 its nice. ok so other then CKI where else is a good site for me to check thats in the US? i tried looking up the G28 kit and i can't find it. i prefer a US seller so that i could go pick it up personally. i'm a truck driver so i can always get a container from my company and haul it back to my house. also a kit that has various pieces is better then a one piece kit right. i mean i know with various pieces its more of a headache cause you have to put more things together. just wondering. so now all i have to do is decide between the mercy 2 and the g28.