Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero Question for the experts

Fiero Question for the experts

Does anyone know what is the difference between the 84-87 Fiero Fuel tank and the 88?

The 88s have a higher capacity than the 84 -87 models. What did they change? Is it higher? Fatter? Or what?

anyone know?
    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.

87 and 88 both use the larger tank, I know it is larger at the front (never personally done a side by side comparison) ... you can put the larger tank in the older 84-86 but you also need the front strap off the 87- 88

88 had the lotus designed suspension that was much better than previous years but does not have as much after market goodies available for the kit industry. They may have stiffened the chassis but I'm not 100% on it. I recall reading about this in a kit car mag years ago, just can't recall it all.
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 05-18-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 88.5countach View Post
    88 had the lotus designed suspension that was much better than previous years but does not have as much after market goodies available for the kit industry. They may have stiffened the chassis but I'm not 100% on it. I recall reading about this in a kit car mag years ago, just can't recall it all.
    Lotus had nothing to do with the suspension of the 88's that is a rumor that has been going around for years.its not true.the difference in the tanks are about a gallon and their larger up front.it will fit in the 84-86 also.

John
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 05-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    Lotus had nothing to do with the suspension of the 88's that is a rumor that has been going around for years.its not true.the difference in the tanks are about a gallon and their larger up front.it will fit in the 84-86 also.
    John
    +1 on that ^

Always get a bit of a chuckle when I hear about the "Lotus Designed Suspension".
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 05-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Maybe the guy that worked for GMs name was Mr. Lotus! LOL

That would explain a lot!

You're right. A quick internet search turned up MR LOTUS!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Stop with the Lotus suspension rumors.

After driving an Elise, and Evora, I can say there is definitely no Lotus suspension design in a Fiero.

I'll have to check. I have an 87 and I believe that it has a larger capacity because of it's expansion tank. I believe that the tank is actually the same size as earlier models.

Quote Originally Posted by kit4me View Post
    You're right. A quick internet search turned up MR LOTUS!
    LOL I knew it!