Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunck Lock

Trunck Lock

I am installing the trunk lock on a Testarassa kit, I have the stock Fiero latch installed and it looks like I may have to drill to install the key portion in the trunk lid.The stock lock has a rod that extends to the locking mechanism.My question is what did you use for a trunk lock,did you use any of the stock Fiero Trunk Lock parts or did you buy all new parts and from what?Got a pic?
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Re:Trunck Lock

I'm using a solenoid only, no key. I'm thinking about flipping the unit to be upside down where the solenoid is at the bottom so I can close up the trunk better.

I have installed two different ones. I had the Mirage kit set up with the bail on the deck lid and the solenoid mounted to the inside of the trunk. That worked fine for 4 years. I only got locked out once and then put a pull wire (made from an old motorcycle clutch cable) between the lock and gas cap filler pop up. I only had the little lug on the gas cap side. Kept a pair of pliers in the tool box incase I needed them. (Be sure to put the tool box in the front).

The other set up I am currently using is OEM Ferrari 355. I believe it is as good as life gets when referring to a deck lid release. I almost used a Bail and trunk release from a Mercury Capri. The Capri looks a lot like the OEM Ferrari stuff only one heck of a lot cheaper. Ferrari, $222, Capri, $5 at the U-Pull-IT.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I used a power trunk latch. I believe it was from an 89 Camaro. You press the button, and the deck lid rises a couple inches. It turned out pretty slick!

Tim P.

I though of the other methods as well and I am happy with the 355 latch. I will be out of counseling in a few weeks after paying for that order. I think your Camero option might be a good one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Dave, I would be ever so gratefull if you could post some more close up pictures like this one. I'm looking to see how this part meets the quarters, both inside and out. I'm not sure if the fiberglass part I have needs cut down more, or if I'm good already.

I cut and changed the curve of my rear right quarter just a bit to get my stuff to line up better. I think I am close, just would like to compare. The top of my panel doesn't quite meet the top of my quarters.

Thanks
    Duane

Duane:

Here are a few shots of the rear 1/4 panel and how I attached the superstructure to the rear 1/4. Please note that the panel goes behind the fiberglass 1/4 panel. The OEM Ferrari part is the part John used to produce the piece you have for your car. I would fit it to the inside of the 1/4 and bolt it together until you are sure of the fit and alignment. I also used 4 - 4" - 1/4 inch thick "L" shaped angles to mount the panel to the top of the Fiero under bumper. In addition, I used 2 - 1/2" steel tubes to secure the top portion of the superstructure due to the fact I have completely removed the trunk and all of its supports in order to use a large exhaust and potential turbo.

Dave