Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need 512 rocker panel info

need 512 rocker panel info

does anybody know the width of testarossa rocker panels ,on my car the rockers are not seperate and i want to make it look more authenic but i dont know exactly where to cut the panels, and i cant find anybody near me that has one to measure

Re:need 512 rocker panel info

Look for MADMIKE or Don on the forum and send them an instant message.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I too would also like some information on the lower rocker panels on the testarossa model. What type of material are you gonna use. I talked to a guy once that use square tubing and just painted it to match the car, it looked pretty good and was strong in case you ran over something. as far as were to cut the panels i would look at all the testarossa pictures and find a spot on your door that looked good and eyeball it. Your kit doors are not gonna be the same size as the real ones so use your best judgement.

In my opinion, if your building a rocker that is straight and square. The use DOW foam board with Epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth over it. The result is a strong, easy to work and sand part that is light weight and functional.

The process is the same as they use for making wings on a fiberglass and foam airplane wing. I have used this for door jams, trunks enclosures and interior parts.

Dave

Dave, i might end up using the foam'; fiberglass method i used that method on my taillamp panel and really enjoyed it , i thought i had done everything with fiberglass that could possibly be done, im going to post some pics of my hamann rear tailight panel as soon as i get a new computer. ive cut the outer rocker skins off my car and welded in square tubing and put in an upright in the rear , i was going to make it a convertible in the beginning but changed my mind . beerman thanks for the advise , ive never been any good at eyeballing anything, i think ill use 12 or 14 guage steel, and i really want to know the exact width my car is very accurate looking, ive sent madmike a message but he hasnt gotten back to me yet

Mike D:

It sounds like you’re on the right track. I will be really interested to see how the rear panel turned out. I love working with the foam and epoxy stuff. I never knew I could create so many things with it.

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Dave

GUYS,it's still a lot easier to work with urethane foam and
    polyester resin,companies that sell urethane cut it to whatever you want 2 pound urethane in a four foot by eight foot sheet two inches thick costs me 57 dollars,that would be 4 -1/2inch thick sheets,it's sold like wood by the board foot,polyester won't bother it,and you don't have the problem of filler over epoxy resin,most people don't realize it but most fillers are polyester based,and epoxy over poltester sticks fine,
    but polyester based fillers over epoxy don't really stick,there's no chemical bonding,they just hang onto the grinder marks in the epoxy,add the extra cost for the epoxy,and the extra work
    of using it and it costs a lot more.MIKE

Mike:

Is the strength of the product the same? I find the Epoxy very easy to work with and the sheets come in 4X8X1/2 for less than $10.00 at Lowes and the epoxy is very expensive.

I have never tried the urethane style of foam with polyester resin. Can you get 1/2 and 1/4 inch thick sheets for that as well? I want to make my underbelly out of the 1/2 inch as well as ¼ for the fender wells.

Your thoughts?

Dave

DAVE,the companies that sell it buy it in 2foot thick by 4 by 8 foot blocks,and they bandsaw it to any thickness you want and you pay by the board foot,if you need to you can bond layers together with a thin skimcoat of body filler to make a thicker panel that will still sand and shape easily,urethane is usually stronger thanother types of foam density for density,
    it cost a little more,but you save in time and materials,and you're using materials that are compatible with each other from foam to primer for paint.
    MIKE

Dave i might have lied i used the blue foam from lowes but i did use regular old polyester resin , not epoxy, i think epoxy is a lot stronger , but ive never used any, anyway i got the idea from you but i didnt pay attenion to the epoxy part ,i think madmikes right ,bondo is probably more compatible to poly resin than epoxy