Thread: Widening Fiero Rear Suspension

Widening Fiero Rear Suspension

I'm working on a 512tr kit based on a 87 GT V6. The stretch is done and I'm not confident in the 3'' wheel spacers on the rear wheels. Has anyone relocated the mounting point for the rear lower A-Arms? By re-locating I mean welding on plates that put the arms' mounting point further away from the cradle? So to keep the stock arms and use longer axles. Has this been done already ? I searched thru a lot of threads but only found stretch brackets that move the strut mounting point, not the A-arm mounting point. Buying a wide track kit is not in my budget. Thanks Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    here are some very nice home made wide track arms an stock ball joints .i think they are 3" wider ,he may share his "prints" on how to make these

E’s Lamborghini Murcielago Hardtop | Super Car Replica
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Thanks for the link, making arms is my 2nd choice after moving the mounting point. Nice arms he did there. Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

I widened my suspension 4 inches each side, 8 inches overall. Contact HMS to get real information.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

HMS is a good place to get more info. I believe the company is now called West Coast Fabricators? Dave Held also just posted over in another thread and he is a wealth of info on widening suspension.

I have also built front and rear widened suspension systems for a Fiero. Same as Dave, I widened the back by 3-4" each and the fronts by 2" each side.

If you want more info, I am pretty sure I still have a word document I created to show how I did the rears. the fronts were a custom cross member full setup. For an '88 model, you can also go over to Pennock's and read through a huge amount of info from a member there building a 355 kit where he moved the stock control arm points out after a lot of evaluation and calculating.

The last 4-5 pages of the thread go into the full evaluation of the Fiero suspension and how to widen it and still keep or improve handling. '88 though.

Blooze Own: An F355 Six Speed N* Build Thread - Pennock's Fiero Forum

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thank you for the very good information......

Looks like Sandy's F40 used a similar setup.

Quote Originally Posted by TRcrazy View Post
    I'm working on a 512tr kit based on a 87 GT V6. The stretch is done and I'm not confident in the 3'' wheel spacers on the rear wheels. Has anyone relocated the mounting point for the rear lower A-Arms? By re-locating I mean welding on plates that put the arms' mounting point further away from the cradle? So to keep the stock arms and use longer axles. Has this been done already ? I searched thru a lot of threads but only found stretch brackets that move the strut mounting point, not the A-arm mounting point. Buying a wide track kit is not in my budget. Thanks Vinny
    The best way would be to go through an analysis of the suspension geometry and locate the pivot points in the proper spots, including making the custom a-arms. But, I've considered what you're asking for my own build (I'm going to get it on the road first). I think it would be rather easy to move the pivot points out, leaving the geometry the same. The issue would be if you want to use a large offset / wide wheel in the back. The strut may not clear, but this can be overcome with coil-overs and or a strut spacer.

Keep in mind that the Fiero rear is nothing but a modified Chevy Citation front, so an another alternate would be adapting the cradle from the front of a wider car, such as a Grand Prix.

Bob

PS: ^^^ that's a Koenig Competition 512TR, not an F40
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif