Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hinges for aventador kit.

hinges for aventador kit.

hi, im modeling door wells and doors for an aventador model. i ran into a problem that i have to ask some of you builders. the murcie hinges make the doors go straight up, which is simple but the aventador does not have this luxury as the real one has hinges that make it open lateral and up at the same time to clear.

my question is is there a simple solution for this type of hinge? i know aftermarket lambo door hinges for regular cars that open lateral and then up would work for the types of doors on the aventador, but is this a practical solution for a kit car builder? since those hinges do cost around 1200 brand new.

They have plenty of those style hinges on eBay. Out and up is what they do.

Mount the hinge on a slanted piece of metal. Out at a slight angle shouldn't be much; of any harder then straight up as even making it go straight up requires stabilizing and tuning your angle.

thanks for the replys, that was what i was hoping to hear, that there were cheap solutions, or a simple hinge that could be mounted at an angle.

working where the hinge mounts to the frame, mount the outside edge of the hinge lower than the inside edge.

How to do the hinges is something I am familiar with from my experience with firearms. Getting that kind of motion is something I do regularly, so it's not hard for me. If you're new to it, it's going to be a little tricky.

I have yet to actually build scissor doors. From what I gather from my experience in doing basically the same or similar things in other genres, I get the impression that making scissor doors work and work correctly is going to be a matter of precision work and fine tuning from start to finish. Just about anyone can do it, but if you haven't done it before, I can promise you it won't be a walk in the park.

You also need to make sure the door is strong enough where mounted (which may require reinforcing), find a way to seal the roof above the doors, it may be good to install a rail for the door to slide in to while closing so you get an exact fit every time and then you need to work out the weight of the door, find the closest gas shock you can find for that weight and adjust the weight of the door until it opens and closes with the speed and pressure you want, work out the best position for the gas shock to be and make sure there's sufficient room for it to fit in to so it doesn't block the door from closing. And you need to get all those functions to work in conjunction with one and other. Don't expect to get it all worked out over night.

Those really expensive scissor door kits seam kinda useless to me. To me, the whole point of scissor doors is opening the door upward so you don't have to worry about the problems with bumping another car in tight parking. Those expensive ones (at least the ones I have seen) require you to open the door the normal way first before lifting it. That doesn't make any sense to me. Then again, these are made for normal cars which are fitted in ways that are probably not compatible with the scissor door motion. That too is something you need to take in to account. Making sure your door doesn't get stuck while raising.
    Last edited by ronin; 06-23-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added info

You're right, the problem is that cars aren't typically designed to just pull straight up. If you did this, you run a regular door into the "rain gutter" or whatever the window fits into tightly. Also, the rear lower part of the door shell and opening, and the front upper side has the same problem (which is precisely why Lambo doors and openings are designed like they are). So, a typical vehicle door must open out first to clear that, then up. They don't come all the way open, just enough to clear this, then they go up. If you've seen these hinge kits in motion, they are infinitely adjustable, so they can fit all kinds of cars. On one set that I did on a Camaro, I simply welded a wedge under the hinge plate, so that made the doors end up tilting in towards the car at the top as they were opened upwards. The only problem is that I feel like these kits tend to be a little unstable when shaken, or opened in high wind, which makes them look weak unless they are fully and tightly adjusted. Adjusting took as long if not longer than installation.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Those really expensive scissor door kits seam kinda useless to me. To me, the whole point of scissor doors is opening the door upward so you don't have to worry about the problems with bumping another car in tight parking. Those expensive ones (at least the ones I have seen) require you to open the door the normal way first before lifting it. That doesn't make any sense to me. Then again, these are made for normal cars which are fitted in ways that are probably not compatible with the scissor door motion. That too is something you need to take in to account. Making sure your door doesn't get stuck while raising.

What does a door hinge have anything to do with firearms? That's just mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    What does a door hinge have anything to do with firearms? That's just mind boggling.
    Perhaps the most obvious example would be fold-out bypods, some of which work on the same principal. There are also switches, collapsing accessories and such that work on the same and similar principals as well. That's just the rotation and lock part. As far as the spring power goes, let's just say that working with spring tension and fitting in the world of firearms is an extremely delicate matter that can cost you life or limb if you get it wrong.

I am just now getting in to cars but all my friends who are in to both cars and guns tell me that mechanically they're very similar worlds. Everything I've learned about cars so far has backed that up.
    Last edited by ronin; 07-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.

dont give out advice on **** you dont know.
    Last edited by The Boss; 07-10-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Watch your language