Thread: First Time Bleeding

First Time Bleeding

Are there any "tricks" or Traps to bleeding brakes on a 1993 Chevy Caprice classic? I have a hand vacuum pump to use. This is my first time and I want to make sure I don't mess it up

NOTE: Brake fluid will melt your paint. Using a hose into a pail on the bleeder screw will keep your work area clean.

IF you replaced the master cylinder you should bench bleed it before installing.

If you didn't replace the master here are the steps.
    1) fill the reservoir to the top
    2) make sure the bleeder screws are not seized and you can loosen them
    3) get a helper to sit in the car.
    4) get helper to pump the brake pedal 5 times !!Make sure the pedal is allowed to come to the top of the stroke between each pump!!
    5) get helper to hold the brake pedal with both feet and DO NOT raise the pedal until you say so.
    6) with the pedal down hard, crack loose the screw on passenger rear then tighten it. You will get a blast of fluid/air out the bleeder screw.
    (if nothing is coming out, sometimes the bleeder screw will fill with dirt and you need to use a small drill bit to clean out the dirt)
    7) once the screw is tight, tell your helper to pump the pedal again. (DO NOT RAISE THE PEDAL WHILE THE SCREW IS OPEN, IT WILL DRAW IN MORE AIR)
    8) repeat 4, 5, and 6 until the fluid stream is clear and there is no air spitting out.
    9) top off the master cylinder between each wheel.
    10) when you are all finished, get your helper to hold the brake pedal for about 5 minutes while you inspect every bleeder screw and the repairs you just made. You are looking for any leaks.

Wheel bleed order - Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. Furthest from the master to the closest.

Don't use the vacuum method of bleeding brakes as that can actually pull air into the system. With the reservoir full have your helper sit in the car so that they can push the pedal. Attach a hose to the bleeder and place the end of the hose into a bottle with some brake fluid in it. Use a transparent hose so you can see any bubbles in the fluid. With the helpers foot OFF OF the pedal open the bleeder and have the helper slowly push the pedal down. When he reaches the bottom of the stroke, close the bleeder before releasing the pedal. Repeat this until no more air is seen coming out of the hose. Doing the bleeding the way Jim says can actually create air in the fluid through cavitation as the fluid is moved quickly through the brake system. My preferred method is with a pressure tank that you attach at the master cylinder and charge with air pressure to push the fluid and air through the system until no more air comes out at the wheel cylinders.

just use ezi bleed
    ezi bleed | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    Doing the bleeding the way Jim says can actually create air in the fluid through cavitation as the fluid is moved quickly through the brake system. .
    Wow, 33 years of experience as a licensed mechanic and a mechanics instructor doesn't count for s#1t anymore I guess. If you read the method, there is a pause between pumps so there is no cavitation.

Cheers