Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are kit cars expensive

How are kit cars expensive

Can anyone explain what may be hidden fees of building a kit car , as far as I kno of is purchasing the kit, and engine I will provide the labor and car, what makes them so expensive as everyone says. Or does it vary on how much of a replica you want your kitcar to look

Generally people like the mid engine replicas but there isnt a readily donor available to slap a kit on it, that it self is the first major obstacle.

Kit body $5-10k
    Donor car $2-5k
    Stretch frame of donor car $2/3k
    Bodywork $5-20k depending who is doing it
    Paint $2-8k
    Glass $1-2k
    Lights $500-3k if you want originals
    Interior and upholstery $2-5k
    Wheels adapters and tires $2-5k
    Lots of little items like grilles badges interior items etc $1-3k
    If it's a lambo, $2-3k to have decent working doors
    And this assumes no changed drivetrain. If you want more power it can easily add another $5-10k

Besides the above I'm missing probably 50 smaller items

It really doesn't cost much at all to build a replica lamborghini. It's pretty much a $4500.00 kit and you just bolt it together over a long weekend. The manuals available are so detailed my daughter could probably do it.
    It's really very simple, the most expensive part is the 7" pop up entertainment screen with playstation and the under glow lights. Everything else is cheap.
    I'm guessing a novice could do one in about 3 months on weekends and sell it for about $150,000.00.
    Fauxrrari is exaggerating the costs so much. Tires and wheels can be purchased for around $40.00 and most paint jobs can be done for around $75.00.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    It really doesn't cost much at all to build a replica lamborghini. It's pretty much a $4500.00 kit and you just bolt it together over a long weekend. The manuals available are so detailed my daughter could probably do it.
    It's really very simple, the most expensive part is the 7" pop up entertainment screen with playstation and the under glow lights. Everything else is cheap.
    I'm guessing a novice could do one in about 3 months on weekends and sell it for about $150,000.00.
    Fauxrrari is exaggerating the costs so much. Tires and wheels can be purchased for around $40.00 and most paint jobs can be done for around $75.00.
    Jim, you are usually courteous, professional, and always supporting and inspiring. I guess sometimes they even get to you huh... BTW, I'm pretty sure my daughter wrote the manuals, she's 10.

Depending on what you want ...

A Chinese Made Lamborghini
    Name:  Chinese-lamborghini-replica.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  96.4 KB

they start pretty cheap and you can built it in your sleep!
    Last edited by T.M.C; 06-24-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Yes, They get pretty DARN expensive. My car is still a body resting in place on a non-stretched frame and I've had to slow myself WAY down or I could have purchased a real 355. BUT, I've got so many OEM Ferrari 355 parts that the parts are worth more than some people's whole kit. I've even got OEM Engine compartment parts so you won't be able to see a Fiero V6 through the engine lid. OEM parts so far: 2 air filter boxes, Y pipe, MAF, 2nd Y-pipe, flexible hose going to air plenum on each side X2, little air ducting box, radiator overflow cap, OEM muffler, OEM tail lights, OEM tail light panel, OEM side scoops, OEM ducting to go behind side scoops, OEM steering wheel, dash pod, instrument cluster panel, seat belts, seat belt hangers, various OEM seat knobs, blinkers, OEM air conditioning vents X 3, front grill, emblems, OEM outer door handles, OEM accelerator pedal, OEM floor mats, OEM floor rubber mats & dead pedal rubber, OEM door threshold rubbers, and the list just goes on, and on.... The parts I just listed alone probably cost more than the AD355 body kit! Then I've got 12" corvette rotors and calipers, Amida center console, Riceburner HVAC panel, Sacto dreamer's 355 stage 2 mirror kit, set of Ferrari style rims, Pirelli OEM size tires, Mr. Mikes seat covers, and I still have a set of Don's headlights and HT wide track suspension left to buy! So, yeah, I'll have enough into this non-stretch F355 kit powered by a Fiero v6 to have bought a real 355 by the time I get "finished" and painted. BUT....I will have built it myself, be able to replace mechanical parts without selling my first born, be able to drive it DAILY reliably for the next 10 to 20 YEARS.
    Last edited by jntramey; 06-24-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    This beautiful enzo replica was built around 6 grand.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by madmods View Post
    This beautiful enzo replica was built around 6 grand.

There was 2 of them beauties for sale on ebay at one stage. The yellow one and a red one, forgot the asking price as was too busy laughing at the comment "No one will know it is a replica"

Hahahaha you guys made my day!!! Thank you!!!