Thread: So Simple Yet SO Frustrating! Help? 1993 Caprice

Question So Simple Yet SO Frustrating! Help? 1993 Caprice

Hi,

I am trying to do something that SHOULD be very simple. Like so many simple things, it's turning out to be a real pain. The car is a 1993 Chevy Caprice. The crappy horn switches in the steering wheel have gone bad and I want to put an external button on the dash. Should be easy, right?

Well, first problem is finding the horn relay. I've heard that it's to the left of the steering column under behind the "convenience panel" (a misnomer if ever I read one). I can't find it there. I try to trace the horn wires from the horn back through the firewall, but they are such a large bundle that it is next to impossible to do. I just want to hook up a simple horn button to get the car past inspection.

Can anyone help?

find horn wire in column cut it then hook to push button then other terminal of button to ground..

Quote Originally Posted by vintshave View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to do something that SHOULD be very simple. Like so many simple things, it's turning out to be a real pain. The car is a 1993 Chevy Caprice. The crappy horn switches in the steering wheel have gone bad and I want to put an external button on the dash. Should be easy, right?

Well, first problem is finding the horn relay. I've heard that it's to the left of the steering column under behind the "convenience panel" (a misnomer if ever I read one). I can't find it there. I try to trace the horn wires from the horn back through the firewall, but they are such a large bundle that it is next to impossible to do. I just want to hook up a simple horn button to get the car past inspection.

Can anyone help?
    Located on the column is a master plug where all the wiring plugs from the main body harness, to the harness running up the column. The wires required will be located here, and would be easiest to extend to a switch placed in the dash. The first reply gave you the wiring instructions.

I used to have the Factory Service Manual for those but I can't help you now. Try and find a website that has wiring diagram and match up the colors. Join www.impalssforum.com and search/ask there. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.