Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC building a new kit. Journal*

CNC building a new kit. Journal*

Update*- exterior is done you can see the pictures at my website here. im taking orders.

Hey fellas. I started milling for new kit today and would like to keep a journal here. I have a medium sized milling CNC, so i will be milling sectioned pieces of a single mold one at a time. These pieces are around 2'x2'. I am currently milling a hood mold. The hood mold is in 6 sections and it takes about 8-14 hours to mill one section. In total, I estimate about 2-3 months to complete the milling for all the molds.

Here are some photos and pictures. For now, I am camera-less so there will be no pictures of the part being milled, just video.

ALSO please dont state/say or post pictures in this thread of what car you think the kit looks like. Id like to be discreet as possible. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.

VIDEO*
    CNC Milling part 1

Entire hood mold
    Name:  fronthood.JPG
Views: 3774
Size:  5.3 KB

1of6 sectioned parts of hood mold
    Name:  fronthoodpart3.JPG
Views: 3765
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 10-01-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Nice work! Did you keep the thin threaded rods or upgrade to acme ones?

Also are the measurements coming out exact on the foam model... because it would be as waste if you have a set sized chassis/donor and the shell being off by some inches, then you'd have to start over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    Nice work! Did you keep the thin threaded rods or upgrade to acme ones?

Also are the measurements coming out exact on the foam model... because it would be as waste if you have a set sized chassis/donor and the shell being off by some inches, then you'd have to start over again.
    i upgraded the rods from 16tpi to 8tpi. wen i get the funds and space im going to build a much larger one out of 8020 t slot aluminum. Yes, from 3d model to milled part they come out accurate. the overall size of the car is about 10 inches wider than the mr2 and 4 inches shorter in height and about a foot longer. i dont think it will be a problem. The kit im designing isnt a comprehensive kit. its pretty much here are the parts, and now find out a way to put it together on a chopped up donor.
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 06-29-2012 at 09:21 AM.

finished section.

and arashb this is your model i milled awhile back, not sure if i showed you yet. first cut i ever made, so its alittle rough.
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 06-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.

i can give you solidworks plus camworks for the g code

This looks xool. So looks like October 1st. is the time (: keep us updated with every cut you mill!

But just because the car is a foot longer it doesn't mean the wheelbase is a foot longer. so when you state the height, width, and length of the kit you're milling, are you considering the differences in Total Length & height of kit compared to Total Length & height of MR2 (The Blue)? or are you considering Wheelbase comparison? (The Red). Same Question for Width!

I hope this clarifies things for me and others
    Thank you

Name:  car diagram.jpg
Views: 3642
Size:  5.9 KB
    Last edited by am33r; 06-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.

This is the front bumper

Name:  front bumper.JPG
Views: 3693
Size:  18.3 KB

post removed
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 06-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    i upgraded the rods from 16tpi to 8tpi. wen i get the funds and space im going to build a much larger one out of 8020 t slot aluminum. Yes, from 3d model to milled part they come out accurate. the overall size of the car is about 10 inches wider than the mr2 and 4 inches shorter in height and about a foot longer. i dont think it will be a problem. The kit im designing isnt a comprehensive kit. its pretty much here are the parts, and now find out a way to put it together on a chopped up donor.
    Nice, a CNC machine really is the wave of the future... every man should have one in his garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    and arashb this is your model i milled awhile back, not sure if i showed you yet. first cut i ever made, so its alittle rough.
    Wow... the Jaguar XJ220 body brought to life.
    Last edited by ArashB; 06-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.

the kit is scaled correctly to actual size. when i state the legnth im talking about overall legnth and not wheel base compared to the mr2.

BTW thanks for editing your post.