Thread: relocate fiero battery

relocate fiero battery

What will I need to relocate my battery to the front (and how do I do it).

Hey Jack;

How is the 288 GTO project going?

You will need:

A platform of some sort to mount the battery to. There are a few out there that you can buy over on Pennock's. I think V8Archie has one as well. Not rocket science though to make one.

About 15 feet of No.2 battery cable. No. 4 is the minimum you want to use but No.2 is better by far. (I ended up using the wire from a set of battery jumper cables. The cable is 4 gauge though but works on my car so far. I recommend No. 2 cable though to handle the distance better) Connectors for each end.

The negative can be a short piece that gets screwed into metal in the front trunk somewhere. I ran the positive cable back along the centre console beside the fuel tank. I just tie wrapped the cable to the tank holding straps.
    The end of the positive cable requires a 12/14 gauge? wire to be added to the connector. The main connector goes to the starter and the smaller wire goes up to the distribution box on the passenger strut tower. You will see where it goes from the oem cable that is there now.

Another well known fact is that the 2.8 V6 setups in the Fieros have horrible grounding. I would recommend adding in 1q or 2 more grounding straps between the engine and the frame as it smooths out the running and helps with the charging. (I read up on all this over on Pennock's several years ago)

That is all you need to do. Relatively easy really.

Take care and update us soon on your project.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks Don!

The GTO is looking Great, its a long ways off though. How about yours?

I would highly recommend using 0/2 gauge welding cable. It is very easy to bend, which makes running it much easier. The Fiero chassis is not the best conductor. It is advisable to run both pos and neg cables directly to the starter. The nice thing about this is that you can use the stock wires from the OEM battery to the starter to run the engine. The other thing to think about is the crimp. Do not use a vice or pliers to make the crimp. Use a slug pellet and you will be fine.

Brastic;

Interesting that you ran the negative to the back as well. Sounds like a reasonable plan for sure.

Jack;

My 288 GTO still looks like a 308....... I am trying to get one finished to see how that feels so I am concentrating on finishing the 308 and into paint this summer. The 288 GTO may or may not be a future project...... In fact, I almost convinced myself the other night to cut the rear section and extend the 3" since I really always wanted to 288 GTO more than the 308...... I saved myself just in time though and put the sawzall away. I actually had the sawzall out and the tape on the rear fender where I wanted to cut the fiberglass to start the stretch process..... I just don't get it do I??.... Ha Ha

Good luck with the build and show us some pics

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV