Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to kit cars

New to kit cars

Guys, I'm 17 years old, and the only thing i think about ever is building a kit car, seriously a dream of mine since i was like 10 and i know i just have to do it when i get a job, i really would like to know how to get started, like what sites are legit, whats not, where can i get good chassis/ frames from and from the more experienced members, whats the best site in your opinion in a price to quality ratio. I hope you all dont think this is a joke, i dunno i just like building stuff, build my own computer, i just dont want a car everyone has.. im not into mustangs or corvettes, i just want something i made, and i dont want it to be rubbish either, some tips and sites would be great, i appreciate the time guys!

Being young and able to absorb a lot of information, with your computer background, I think you'd be a good candiate to make the following custom kit. It involves making a CNC machine under a grand, making panels and bolting it over the Celica.
    If you are interested I would sponsor my knowledge for you to do this.

Yeah I am very interested in your knowledge, and appreciate the time you took posting this, that car you posted is pretty sweet too! where would i purchase the kit from

welcome to the forum

most of us here are either doing a build or a design on some sort of european replica, not all are OEM
    also most here are using a donor vehicle then altering it to look like something else and some use custom chassis
    there are many online kit car body makers / chassis/ and turn-key scams
    consider everything a scam at the beggining, come and ask someone on this sorum, and someone would let you know

As for your kit car dream
    consider that trying to make (or put together) an exotic looking car will cost anything from $10,000 to $100,000
    Certain skills or trades are needed (Fiberglass Fabrication, Welding, Mechanically Inclined, Painting, and Etc.)
    I hope this doesn't scare you off, there are many DYI projects that have lots of the work already done

So, give us an idea of what you wish to build, and how close to original, pics, etc. of this project and the guys here are really helpful and will give you their opinions

Quote Originally Posted by am33r View Post
    welcome to the forum

most of us here are either doing a build or a design on some sort of european replica, not all are OEM
    also most here are using a donor vehicle then altering it to look like something else and some use custom chassis
    there are many online kit car body makers / chassis/ and turn-key scams
    consider everything a scam at the beggining, come and ask someone on this sorum, and someone would let you know

As for your kit car dream
    consider that trying to make (or put together) an exotic looking car will cost anything from $10,000 to $100,000
    Certain skills or trades are needed (Fiberglass Fabrication, Welding, Mechanically Inclined, Painting, and Etc.)
    I hope this doesn't scare you off, there are many DYI projects that have lots of the work already done

So, give us an idea of what you wish to build, and how close to original, pics, etc. of this project and the guys here are really helpful and will give you their opinions

I'm really into Lamborghini's lately, they seem to be quite popular in the kitting world as well, a galardo would be a nice one to start with in my opinion... i finished high school early and am working on getting a computer science degree so i suppose money wont be an issue running 60 grand right out of college...Do you know anyone who has done a kit similar? i would like to purchase one that is past the fiberglass work stage, and possibly mounted to a stretched chassis and supported already, i dont see my self being too good at that.

Myself Ive yet to finish a kit but the recipe in making one is pretty straight forward.

I personally have interest in the pictured car and would like to see it made... among others, and I think since its a forward engine design and it would basically involve making exterior panels overlapping the donor, it would be a simpler exotic car to do then others.

The first hard step is making a CNC machine.
    Before I lay out the steps, do you live at home (having no bills) and have access to garage space?
    How much spending money do you have now to start.

Making a mid engine car involves lots of obstacles, if you would be satisfied with a forward engine, you'd save lots of time, money and headache.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    Myself Ive yet to finish a kit but the recipe in making one is pretty straight forward.

I personally have interest in the pictured car and would like to see it made... among others, and I think since its a forward engine design and it would basically involve making exterior panels overlapping the donor, it would be a simpler exotic car to do then others.

The first hard step is making a CNC machine.
    Before I lay out the steps, do you live at home (having no bills) and have access to garage space?
    How much spending money do you have now to start.

Making a mid engine car involves lots of obstacles, if you would be satisfied with a forward engine, you'd save lots of time, money and headache.
    you I like with my parents, but they are super cool, 2 car garage, plenty of space, but only basic tools,

Good.
    Firstly, having a CNC machine, specially at such a young age, is going to open your options to many kinds of business. Its the ultimate tool.
    It could be a bit of a challenge to assemble one, tune and operate it, but to have an exotic looking car and compared to Lambo builds, its worth it and much easier.

So here are the main basic things to make that Lexus LF-LC. You may change your mind and do another design later, but I think for forward engine, that one is the hottest.

1 Assemble a CNC machine kit (will go into more detail later if your still interested)

2 Carve out the 3D model in foam (Im currently trying to perfect the curves on this current 3D model since Im making a RC car toy replica of it for my first project)
    http://i.imgur.com/oPype.jpg

3 Make molds/ panels out of the foam

4 Bolt on the kit

You dont have to make the molds and panels since you can contract that work out, but the rest is a must.
    What do you think so far? Maybe other members will have some appealing kits to post but overall I think this one will be easier for you and still exotic.
    Last edited by ArashB; 07-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    Good.
    Firstly, having a CNC machine, specially at such a young age, is going to open your options to many kinds of business. Its the ultimate tool.
    It could be a bit of a challenge to assemble one, tune and operate it, but to have an exotic looking car and compared to Lambo builds, its worth it and much easier.

So here are the main basic things to make that Lexus LF-LC. You may change your mind and do another design later, but I think for forward engine, that one is the hottest.

1 Assemble a CNC machine kit (will go into more detail later if your still interested)

2 Carve out the 3D model in foam (Im currently trying to perfect the curves on this current 3D model since Im making a RC car toy replica of it for my first project)
    http://i.imgur.com/oPype.jpg

3 Make molds/ panels out of the foam

4 Bolt on the kit

You dont have to make the molds and panels since you can contract that work out, but the rest is a must.
    What do you think so far? Maybe other members will have some appealing kits to post but overall I think this one will be easier for you and still exotic.
    I was more into buying a fiberglass kit, already molded, i seriously dont think i could work with such machinery :/

It sounds intimidating but its not really.

First here are examples of the methods actually working, these videos were made by member of this forum.

2 - carving out the kit.

on a large machine
    SS7 build - YouTube

on a smaller machine, and by gluing the pieces together after (a part of a hood)
    CNC Milling part1 - YouTube

3 - Making a mold not the best example but a video I just found
    Dodge Ram Fiberglass Door Build Mold Making - Build Log 1 - YouTube

4 - Bolting on the kit Making the welded supports may not be necessary
    Fugazzicars part 1 - YouTube

I'm looking for some CNC kit videos now
    Last edited by ArashB; 07-05-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling