Thread: Connecting Gbox to wheels..

Connecting Gbox to wheels..

obviously, i know how it is done in a normal car, say front engine front wheel drive and a front engine rear wheel drive..
    >
    but what about when you build a car like Spyder Sports cars gallardo?
    in the first picture shown,

i can see that its a 4WD car, the gearbox has a blanking plate so nothing fron gearbox to rear diff as its already at the rear of the car, but isnt what would normally be the driveshafts for the front come from the actual engine block? but its further forward than the wheels, so how would you get that engine to turn those wheels?
    Last edited by Dante; 07-07-2012 at 02:49 AM.

wow, your post was very difficult to read. i want to punch you just for sounding so incoherent.

I cannot expand the photo you posted but I doubt that is an AWD frame. The rear wheels are driven by halfshafts or axles that come from the differential that is directly behind the engine and go to the wheels. The front wheels are not driven.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    wow, your post was very difficult to read. i want to punch you just for sounding so incoherent.
    go ahead, punch me.. how was it so difficult to read?

and @txbuilder, i know its not a AWD drive frame, the original car, AUDI RS4 is a FRONT ENGINE AWD, but the engine has been moved to the back so theres no driveshaft from the gearbox to the rear diff. But i thought that the halfshafts we're connected to engine block (similar to a UK FWD car) ? SO the wheels should sit eitherside of the engine not a foot or so back?

That photograph is from Spyder Sports Car's build diary and was taken a very long time ago. I don't even know if the engine was connected to anything at that point.

They're a nice bunch of guys, their cars are virtually spot-in perfect (interior included). Why don't you ask them?

Spyder Sports Cars

There are also a couple of build diaries here on Mad Mechanics and Mark's user on here is 'Gallardo'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    go ahead, punch me.. how was it so difficult to read?

and @txbuilder, i know its not a AWD drive frame, the original car, AUDI RS4 is a FRONT ENGINE AWD, but the engine has been moved to the back so theres no driveshaft from the gearbox to the rear diff. But i thought that the halfshafts we're connected to engine block (similar to a UK FWD car) ? SO the wheels should sit eitherside of the engine not a foot or so back?

[QUOTE=. But i thought that the halfshafts we're connected to engine block (similar to a UK FWD car) ? SO the wheels should sit eitherside of the engine not a foot or so back?[/QUOTE]

The engine is connected to the transaxle. The rotational force developed by the engine must enter the transmission first before it is transmitted to the differential then to the drive axles. The drive axles are connected between the transaxle and the wheel hub assembly.

Never would you see axles connected to the engine block.

Standard Audi 01X type gearbox, only two wheel drive, gearbox internal differential sits in the bellhousing, driveshafts attached eitherside of the the internal diff

ah, that makes sense Dangerrous, i take it that its simialr to the AWD AUDI RS4 that sypdersportscars use? just without rear diff.

and ive emailed them, and contacted the mobile number on their site but to no avail

It is best to use a FWD only transmission rather than try to adapt an AWD transmission to be used in a mid-engine position. The Audi 01E or 01X can be used or the Porsche Boxster S or Cayman work well too.