Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From concept to full scale

From concept to full scale

Hello all. I'm new here, and I am starting with the most basic of questions:

I have created a 1/6th scale model of a car body I would like to start by building a body plug in full scale for it. What is the best way to go about doing this? Is there a good way to scan it into a 3D program, and section it there, and foam fill the sections? If so, (or if not) what's the best way to start this? Lastly, where does one go about finding a shop with CNC or waterjet capabilities to cut out the sections? I've also seen the CNC foam milling has gotten popular and possibly affordable. Does anyone suggest this as an alternative? TIA!

you can 3d scan it, then scale it to full size in a cad program. i dont suggest you do the rib style buck making process unless you dont have the money to have the panels cnc'd

Do you want the cheaper but harder way or the more expensive but quicker way? If the model is detailed enough and you can get it scanned and the scan converted to CAD-CAM program you can get it cut on a CNC router but that will be expensive. The cheaper but longer way would be to hand build a full scale plug and pull molds from that. You can buy or pour foam blocks to work with to make the plug then coat the plug with something to make a hard, smooth surface that you can pull a mold from.

Where in KS are you located? I am originally from the Salina area.

Thanks for the replies......

First, I guess I need to gain access to a 3d scanner.

I would love to have it cnc milled, but I would imagine that to be a pretty expensive proposition. Especially when I dont know yet if the model works in full size, or as with a lot of things, it becomes somehow mis-shapen as it is expanded. I've seen otherwise good looking designs look cartoonish when in full size. If there is an affordable solution to this, then I would rather do this of course. I did see some interesting possibilities when it comes to building a CNC router system, but I haven't gotten any really solid direction on this.

I'm located in Wichita, KS. Nowhere, directly in the middle. But oh, what a wonderful history we have for kustom kars!

get a sheet of glass say 8 x 4 and 230 GSM chopped matte make a panel of this and you can do what ever you like and cut it with scissors. one side will be smooth as glass..

Quote Originally Posted by 917kit View Post
    get a sheet of glass say 8 x 4 and 230 GSM chopped matte make a panel of this and you can do what ever you like and cut it with scissors. one side will be smooth as glass..
    I'm not sure how this applies for a full scale build. Do you mean that I could do this, and then wrap a foam mock up?

No, that will not work.
    There are so many on this site with big ideas and no experience or expertise. On the other hand, there actually are a few who do know what they are talking about. Unfortunately it is so difficult to tell them apart.
    Good luck sorting it out.

Yeah, I know what ya mean. But I try to give everyone a shot to explain. Some people are using translators, and sometimes I simply misunderstand.

'm not sure how this applies for a full scale build. Do you mean that I could do this, and then wrap a foam mock up?

Cut the sheets up like tin to the right shape and bondo in place once happy with the shape glass it together, one side is already smooth but make sure you sand were you want to Bondo/glass as it wont stick.
    To make a curved piece use PVC pipe want smooth on the inside glass over the outside of the pipe smooth outside glass inside the PVC use a bit of wax of make sure PVC is clean it will rerlaese ok.
    say you want to make a hood with a line down the center cut your sheet to the size/shape you want clamp a a piece of pvc or timber on each end until you have the right angle will have to be own on its back and a flat surface , measure up from the table top to the edge of sheet once happy apply more chopped strand. let set ans do the next bit.

Name:  mudguard.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  9.7 KBName:  Hood.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  18.4 KB