Thread: Running multiple ECU's for different 'Modes'

Running multiple ECU's for different 'Modes'

this is probably some crazy idea which will never work but as im a vehicle body repairer and not an auto electician, i wouldn't know..

My idea, i know how cars have ECU's which control the fuel, ignition timing, idle speed etc..

Now on some performance cars, there is normally a Sport or Race button, which makes the car respond quicker, ferrari f430 has it on the steering wheel..

Would it not be possible to fit 2 ECU's, the standard one, and a re-mapped one, but wire the re-mapped ECU to only be working when a switch it flicked sending the power from the standard ECU to the remapped one to create that 'sport' button?

I am running a Haltech ECU and it is capable of two modes. Track and Street, or whatever you want to call it. It can be controlled by a switch similar to the above. I can change rev limits, idle speeds, injection width, timing degrees and many more variables.

ah, i never knew theyre were ECU's which had multiple settings.. Would my idea of having 2 ECU's also worked?

Technically speaking, I think you could wire multiple ECU's if you wanted, but that's a massive wiring mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    ah, i never knew theyre were ECU's which had multiple settings.. Would my idea of having 2 ECU's also worked?
    Sure thing! If like spending twice the money that is.

It's much easier to get a chip for one ECU that has multiple settings. They even come with the switch. Mine has 5 settings: original, 4 custom, and one kill position.