Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 84-87 steering rack steering damper kits

84-87 steering rack steering damper kits

I had a few requests thru the years for a damper system for the 84-87 Fiero steering racks. I found making the double damper kits to be too much work and expense for the 88's and I have long since dropped them. But for the 84-87 racks I have had an idea to stack 2 dampers on the factory rack with a few simple adapters. This makes more sense with kit cars and larger front wheels. Anyone have any input on this? My kit would be cheap. Maybe $25 but you would have to buy the second damper.

kitcarnut

Re: 84-87 steering rack steering damper kits

I would like the first one you had. but I'll take it . E mail me with how you wanna get pay ship. etc. Ed

Forgive me if my questions sound somewhat un-informed! How much harder(slow-speed turning) would the steering feel with a double damper? And, am I assuming the 2 damper system will give a stronger (more dampened high speed) feel to large(wide) tires?
    Sandy

How much harder(slow-speed turning) would the steering feel with a double damper?

I have the double damper system on my 88. Before I had the power steering I used to take it off for front end alignments. It did not seem to make any difference in the steering effort. So I doubt adding one more to an 84-87 will make much change in the effort also.

I think the biggest advantage is when you hit things like pot holes and the steering wheel wants to jump. That was my biggest problem. It was so bad on my 88 Mera I used to drive with my hands at the bottem of the steering wheel so people could not see the steering wheel jerking.

I would like to purchase the kit too! Let me know what the costs is and what else I need. Thanks!

Someone do me a favor and look under their car and see if there is enough room for another damper directly in front of the existing one. I am pretty sure there is plenty of room but just to be sure.

Kit is not much. Just 2 special long hex nuts/spacers and 2 bolts. Quick and easy to install. You will need to buy another damper. GM or aftermarket. Anyone know who makes the best damper? GM or?

I'm picking up steel tomorrow and I should have some to sell Wed. Price for now is $24 and $5 shipping.

Hey Rodney, there's a good 4-5" in front of the damper. Will this solution help with front bump steer due to my 1.25" spacers and lower front?? I seem to have the same problem you describe in the shaking after hitting a bump at high speeds. Thanks!

1988Mera(It was so bad on my 88 Mera I used to drive with my hands at the bottem of the
    steering wheel so people could not see the steering wheel jerking. )
    Yes, I hear you.... You should try driving over in the Province of Quebec!!! The Montreal bridges' expansion rails....
    still interested, Sandy

Rodney, has this 2nd damper solution been tested on 84-87 Fieros, or are the first ones to attempt? In other words, do you think this will solve our problem? I still need to take off the existing damper to check to see if it is ok, if not, I'll have to buy (2) dampers. Any idea on who has the lowest price? Thanks!

"XRacer_Pro: I still need to take off the existing damper to check to see if it is ok, if not, I'll have to buy (2) dampers." I was thinking the same... Here's a link to a stabiliser or 2.
    Sandy
    http://www.carParts.com/parts/sample...rtnum=NONE&dc=