Thread: Another Countach build starting

Another Countach build starting

I'm in! I bought a Countach kit. Now let the questions begin...

I want to do the BMW V12 engine and I've seen that it usually goes in with a Porsche G50 transaxle. My question: Is this because of fit, hp/torque capacity, or both? And what about the CV axles? Also from the Porsche?

man i bet you are a happy guy right now!

Oh yeah! It's been many years coming. Probably ever since watching Canonball Run. It's going to be a white one. Definately happy.

do you have pics of the kit?

dwheeler;

Congrats on the Countach and welcome to wide world of replicas. We are definitely going to need pics.

To answer your question and transaxle to BMW V12. Th eG50 is the strongest transaxle out there readily available but they are quite expensive. They also need to be turned over to run in the right direction so there are several views out there on what to do to prepare the G50 for running upside down. Some add in internal oil sprayers to get the tops of the gears that used to be the bottom etc. An excellent source for transaxle info is GT40s.com forum. They have been talking about these against high horsepower engines for quite some time. Lots of great info.

Jim Dinner has also done an outstanding job of documenting his connection of an Audi 016 from a 5000 on his blog/website. Do a search for jdinner userid here and you will see his website in his profile. He goes through everything from making his own adapter to the v12 to custom axles.

As for length, if you are putting this into a stretched Fiero then a V12 and any transaxle will cause you to rearrange the firewall to get the room. The stretch for these kits is 5" on the Fiero and that is not enough room to shoehorn in all the additional engine and transaxle length easily. There is a fellow over on Pennock's doing a V12 up against an auto trans and has the engine turned around in the engine bay so the drive belts are at the back. More to the oem style of Lambo. If you are going into a custom tube chassis then the configuration is still tight but more easily managed.

Good luck with the build and keep asking questions as we have never been accused of being shy with info or not having opinions......

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Sweet, look forward to following the build.

id love to see some pics as well....just another countach fan here

It will be shipping Monday but here's a link to some pics of it.
    Lambo pictures by dwheeler57 - Photobucket

I've got several volunteers to help build it. My motto: If you help build it, you get to drive it. It worked pretty well when fixing up my 944. I even have a neighbor who is a certified welder that will help but he wants to drive the Cobra replica instead.

Nice project....The body looks great! Damn I need to get back on mine

Just bought a BMW 750iL with 69K miles on it for $1500. Picking it up Saturday. Now for a Porsche transaxle. I'm hoping the body will be here by Friday. This is a dream coming true. I built the Cobra in 13 months, maybe this car will less than that. Experience counts, right?