Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting point on Camaro Aventador

Interesting point on Camaro Aventador

Hay guys. I've been busy as can be lately, getting pulled in all different directions, but I HAVE been spending a little bit of time here and there working on the "height" problem with the Camaro build. And I have come up with a rather interesting solution.

As we've spoken on earlier, the Gen 4 Camaro has remarkably similar specs to the Lamborghini Aventador and making a Lamborghini replica out of that generation Trans am (Fire bird to be specific) has already been done.
    CarKitInc- Mercy-4 Completed - YouTube

But as you know, my focus has been on a better matching replica. The chief problem being the height of the vehicle.

I have been playing with something for a while now. It's not a perfect solution but it dramatically reduces the major gap in height between the gen 4 Camaro and Lamborghini Aventador while also partially solving other problems.

Since we can only bring the Camaro down so far without tampering with the F body, we in stead bring the Lamborghini up. What I mean by this is the Lamborghini has a lift feature that raises the suspension a few inches to allow it to clear speed bumps and such. Since it's unlikely many of us are going to be adding this feature to kit cars, it's probably better to do our kit cars to match lifted suspension anyway so they don't get bashed to pieces while driving around town. I have not yet figured out exactly how much it raises on the real thing but from what I have seen in a video of the Murcielago, it looks like it raises about 3 inches.
    Hydraulic Lift System on Lamborghini Murcielago - Jimmy540i.com - YouTube

Furthermore, after installing correct diameter wheels, the suspension can be lowered to an inch lower then stock, bringing the difference in height from a little over 6 inches to as little as 2 inches which may be conveniently worked with by (as I had planned) slightly raising the angle of the upper part of the car. Better yet, if you replicate that 3 inch raise in the wheel well, you'll probably get rid of most; if not all of that "pregnant front end" look. Of course, there's still a 5 inch difference in wheel base, but with only 2.5 on each end, that should be very easy to work with.

So you end up with this. A slightly taller canopy, a windshield that is back set 2 or 3 inches, slightly thicker A pillars, a slightly shorter wheel base, 1 inch thinner overall width and MAYBE a vented hood like that on the triangle. Otherwise, we're virtually unchanged from the original design. It's basically the Aventador version of that non-stretch Gallardo kit.

And that all is without tampering with the F body, and on an "easy to come by" car that you can get with an LS1 V8 engine!

Save only for the suspension lift, this is what those differences look like in a 3D perspective (the changes are to the car on top.

Name:  difference.JPG
Views: 2195
Size:  63.9 KB
    Last edited by ronin; 08-14-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added image

Life has gotten in the way of my Trans Am transformation too. Busy rebuilding a 'CUDA and some medical bills are slowing me down but I want to get back at it shortly.
    I was able to strip some parts off the front but besides that My F-body is just a home for spiders right now. (nasty nasty spiders)

That sucks. Whenever you get back to work, I wanna see pictures. And maybe we can share tips. That is, once I get my hands on a doner car. Hopefully we'll both free up some time and $ by then.

Big rims allow you to have larger wheel fender cutouts, which can make the front fenders look thinner and less pregnant
    Go with 22s

With that mercy 4 if they just made a 670 style nose which is longer and tapers down lower it would have looked better than that lower valance piece
    Last edited by Fauxrrari; 08-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

I thought about going with 19s for the front. I haven't really decided yet but my mind is currently staying with 18s for the front. Representing a Lamborghini with the suspension lifted (which is how a real Lamborghini wants to drive around town anyway) seams to address that problem without the need for larger rims. I'm sure a carefully selected and carefully placed windshield will also help fix the problem. The matter of using larger 19 or even 20 inch front rims IS forefront on the table right now though.
    Last edited by ronin; 08-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Aventadors come with 20s from the factory , why would you use 18s? That would really look weird

According to everything I've read on it, the rear wheels are 20s and the front wheels are 18s.

As far as the wheel well VS pregnant front end plot goes, here's some perspective for you. Taken straight from that Mercy 4 video. Pictures show the difference they would have made had they done nothing else but make that change to the front wheel wells.

Name:  mercy 4 compare.JPG
Views: 1323
Size:  66.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Hay guys. I've been busy as can be lately, getting pulled in all different directions, but I HAVE been spending a little bit of time here and there working on the "height" problem with the Camaro build. And I have come up with a rather interesting solution.

As we've spoken on earlier, the Gen 4 Camaro has remarkably similar specs to the Lamborghini Aventador and making a Lamborghini replica out of that generation Trans am (Fire bird to be specific) has already been done.
    CarKitInc- Mercy-4 Completed - YouTube

But as you know, my focus has been on a better matching replica. The chief problem being the height of the vehicle.

I have been playing with something for a while now. It's not a perfect solution but it dramatically reduces the major gap in height between the gen 4 Camaro and Lamborghini Aventador while also partially solving other problems.

Since we can only bring the Camaro down so far without tampering with the F body, we in stead bring the Lamborghini up. What I mean by this is the Lamborghini has a lift feature that raises the suspension a few inches to allow it to clear speed bumps and such. Since it's unlikely many of us are going to be adding this feature to kit cars, it's probably better to do our kit cars to match lifted suspension anyway so they don't get bashed to pieces while driving around town. I have not yet figured out exactly how much it raises on the real thing but from what I have seen in a video of the Murcielago, it looks like it raises about 3 inches.
    Hydraulic Lift System on Lamborghini Murcielago - Jimmy540i.com - YouTube

Furthermore, after installing correct diameter wheels, the suspension can be lowered to an inch lower then stock, bringing the difference in height from a little over 6 inches to as little as 2 inches which may be conveniently worked with by (as I had planned) slightly raising the angle of the upper part of the car. Better yet, if you replicate that 3 inch raise in the wheel well, you'll probably get rid of most; if not all of that "pregnant front end" look. Of course, there's still a 5 inch difference in wheel base, but with only 2.5 on each end, that should be very easy to work with.

So you end up with this. A slightly taller canopy, a windshield that is back set 2 or 3 inches, slightly thicker A pillars, a slightly shorter wheel base, 1 inch thinner overall width and MAYBE a vented hood like that on the triangle. Otherwise, we're virtually unchanged from the original design. It's basically the Aventador version of that non-stretch Gallardo kit.

And that all is without tampering with the F body, and on an "easy to come by" car that you can get with an LS1 V8 engine!

Save only for the suspension lift, this is what those differences look like in a 3D perspective (the changes are to the car on top.

Name:  difference.JPG
Views: 2195
Size:  63.9 KB
    uhm both images look the same. did you alter the one on top??
    Posted via HTC or Windows 10. Images hosted on www.PixelsBin.com.

Quote Originally Posted by bangsters View Post
    uhm both images look the same. did you alter the one on top??
    Yep. All the differences I mentioned were made to the one on top, save for the heightened wheel well (which would then be made to both cars since the real Lamborghini does it. Wheel base, hood, height of the car, changes to the windshield are all there. I said before these differences would be less obvious in a real world view. I guess you are seeing what I meant.

Look closely and you'll see the differences.

19" Front + 20" Rear

Structure Carbon fiber monocoque with Aluminium front and rear frames
    Body Carbon fiber engine bonnet, movable spoiler and side air inlets. Aluminum front bonnet, front fenders doors; SMC rear fender
    Suspension Front and rear horizontal monotube damper with push-rod system
    ESP ESP/ ABS with different ESP charecteristics managed by drive sel
    Brakes Dual hydraulic circuit brake system with vacuum brake booster; front and rear CCB, 6-cylinder brake callipers, 4-cylinder brake callipers
    Front 400x38mm mm / 15.72 in
    Rear 380x38mm mm / 14.93 in
    Steering type Steering Gear with 3 different servortonic charcteristics managed by drive select mode
    Turning circle 12,5 m / 39 ft
    Front tyre size 255/35 ZR19
    Rear tyre size 335/30 ZR20
    Type Pirelli
    Front rim size 9 x 19 inch
    Rear rim size 12 x 20 inch
    Mirrors External mirror electrically foldable mm
    Rear spoiler Moveable -3 positions depending on speed and drive select mode
    Airbags Front dual stage driver airbag and front adaptive passenger airbag; seats with side “headthorax” airbags; knee airbags