Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355 headlights problem

355 headlights problem

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered any vibration issues with their headlights ?

The problem is over rough ground, the beams are shaking noticeably up and down.

The buckets themselves are not loose, but obviously there is some rigidity which needs to be added, just curious anyone else had this ?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't comment til I get my car on the road. This is a strong concern of mine though as I have a feeling mine will shake a lot.

What headlights are you using??

Put hid kits in the foglight holes so you. Don't even need to ever use the popup headlights

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer View Post
    Sorry, I can't comment til I get my car on the road. This is a strong concern of mine though as I have a feeling mine will shake a lot.

What headlights are you using??
    They Are based on the mr2 headlight motors but have a custom bucket I made. Unfortunatly to get the lower rise I had to use a solid lifter arm ( as opposed to the sprung standard one ) which I suspect doesn't help.
    I think normally the pop ups are forced into a rubber end stop in the up position do all linkage play is taken up.

I noticed Volvo 480 have a spring / damper on the pop ups - so its obviously an issue with these type of lights.

I don't know if you can drive your car just down your street but for me anyway the problem was noticeable straight away
    On driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    Put hid kits in the foglight holes so you. Don't even need to ever use the popup headlights
    I like that idea, I think the 355 looks better with lights down anyway.

Only problem being is for the uk mot think there is a minimum distance from the ground your head lights are allowed to be. Gonna have a look though !

You can still pop up the regular headlights for inspection time. It won't matter that they shake when driving because you won't use them when driving

Just use the hid in the foglight holes for actual driving

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    You can still pop up the regular headlights for inspection time. It won't matter that they shake when driving because you won't use them when driving

Just use the hid in the foglight holes for actual driving
    That will work for inspection but not for a cop writing the ticket when he is stopped driving at night. I'd recommend installing a spring to try and dampen the shake.
    Last edited by sactodreamer; 08-19-2012 at 09:19 AM.

We used the Saturn buckets and they are rock solid. Mind you that we put a lot of effort to reinforce everything with the lights so that they would not shake. Can you please post a picture of your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    We used the Saturn buckets and they are rock solid. Mind you that we put a lot of effort to reinforce everything with the lights so that they would not shake. Can you please post a picture of your set up?
    Hi, out of interest - do you still have the 'top position' bump stop installed in your saturn buckets ?

I will post a pic at the weekend, but since everything assembled not so easy to see whats what on mine.

I'm actually using the mr2 pivot mechanism with a shorter rod ( for the lower profile headlight i'm using ) . While i was doing this i removed the top & bottom bump stops since i knew my new positions would be vastly different.
    HOWEVER ... i do believe now after some further investigation that this is my problem. The bracketry i have is now rigid and the play in the up position is from the motor linkage.

Googling, pop up owners who have done 'sleepy eye' mod do also report shake which concurs with the bump stop thing.

The spring in the original rod must be for the down position, maybe stating the obvious but everything OEM is done for a reason ! Now got to look at how to re-instate the bump stop...

Another factor to consider is we are all probably runing a relativly stiff ride - which exacerbates any shake issue.

out of interest, this is the standard mr2 pivot mechanism

EDIT - to add, not my diagram - this was found in reference to fitting some Rogue quad lights for the mr2. Thanks !