Thread: gear won't come out of Park

gear won't come out of Park

Hey guys. It's not a kit question, but I figured you guys are more talented on these things.

I have a Nissan Rogue that for a while now has the gear stuck at Park. I couldn't get the gear to disengage, and the button will not budge when in Park. I have to manually override it by inserting a small key or object to override the park button (there's a small hole where you can insert a small item/key to manually override the gear).

Any idea what could be wrong? Once the gear is removed manually from park, it works perfectly fine. Sometimes, very rarely, it works though (once in a blue moon).

It will be my first project with a car before I start something bigger.
    Posted via HTC or Windows 10. Images hosted on www.PixelsBin.com.

Make sure your brake lights are working. If you have a bulb out or a blown brake light fuse it will deactivate the release solenoid on the shifter lock.

Thanks Jim! Yes the taillights are working, although I did notice one time when I was testing them in the evening. After coming to a full stop, I put the gear in park, engaged the e-brake. And when I tried to step on the brakes, the light wasn't going brighter (lights were on to begin with)...

could it be just the brake light switch? really not good with cars lol and tanks for the advice.

Brake lights do not normally turn on with the e-brake. Sounds like a bad or intermittent stop light switch.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    Brake lights do not normally turn on with the e-brake. Sounds like a bad or intermittent stop light switch.
    i meant the e-brake is engaged, and the lights are n being it was night.

thanks. i'll take a look at the stop light switch. hopefully it's easy to replace. if i can't do this then i have no business of even thinking starting a build.