Thread: 01 1.7L v-tech civic

01 1.7L v-tech civic

I am about to purchase a 01 1.7 V-Tech for my little sister. It has 185k and counting runs and stops fine! Has power steering fluid leak i can fix, thats seems to be it!! Although it sounds like it has a slight lifter tick, I know nothing about Hondas just JEEPS they owner says its normal for Honda engines to sound like that??? Can I have some one else's input and what to look out for when buying I would really appreciate any help!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
    I am about to purchase a 01 1.7 V-Tech for my little sister. It has 185k and counting runs and stops fine! Has power steering fluid leak i can fix, thats seems to be it!! Although it sounds like it has a slight lifter tick, I know nothing about Hondas just JEEPS they owner says its normal for Honda engines to sound like that??? Can I have some one else's input and what to look out for when buying I would really appreciate any help!
    some hondas do that.. it might just need to get the valves adjusted. is the motor completely stock?
    if its a tick it shouldnt be a problem. if its a knock now thats something different.. might be the main bearings

On other engines, I read it could sometimes just need is a synthetic oil change to clean things up.
    Just to let you know, you've stumbled on a kit car forum more then a mechanics one first time poster... we can take your Jeep and modernized it if you like

Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

old post i know but.......most honda's will tick when they get over 150k miles. try an oil change (syn or conv.) if that doesn't fix your problem then you can go down the valve adjustment avenue. valve adjustments on the 1.7's are easy. just make sure to get another valve cover gasket along with it otherwise you'll get some solid leaks.

let me know if you have any other honda questions.