Thread: Interior question

Interior question

Ok, granted I am not building a kitcar, however my question certainly pertains to those that are/have built them. How do people go about changing the colors of some of the interior items. For example the A-pillar, and the rear and lower interior moldings (that are either grey or tan on the fiero). Do you paint them? If so, how do you go about preping them for paint(or do they even need preping)?

I am currently in the planning stages of completely redoing my Fiero interior, but I am not sure I want to stay with the Fiero grey. Although grey will pretty much go with any exterior color I choose. However if I want to go with a black leather interior, I wouldn't want to have grey A-pillar's, etc.

Re: Interior question

Well I found that black vinyl paint that is made by rust-oleum sold by home depot works really well for painting hard plastic items and other things also such as outside trim pieces it has alow gloss sheen and goes on well and you can recoat what your painting anytime without worrying about the paint lifting,Ihate when that happens :'( Ive painted my wiper arms with it places in my engine compartment with great results .NOW I HAVE to warn you do not I repeat do not paint your seats or anything that is flexible the paint will peel I tryed to paint the rbber tube covers on my mirrors and after I installed them on the car whent to adjust them and the paint peeled like a banana off the flexible rubber but other than that this is one of the best things that I use to trim out my baby.hope this will help
    1BadF40 And now runnin with the Devil

Figured that was the case, just wanted to make sure that paint will stick to the molding without the normal prep work involved with car paint (sanding etc.). Already order a set of gauges, now I need to actually start designing. The glove box is the one area I don't really have an idea of what I am going to do. The rest... I have an idea, just have to work out the details. Lots of work. What have I gotten myself into!

In terms of interior paint, here's what I did:
    1) Interior Plastic: Went to home depot, bought Acetone and Black Vinyl type paint. Washed everything with acetone first to get all the dirt and stuff off (and some of the color), washed all the acetone residue off with water, dried with towel, then painted (Word of advice - if using spray type paint, make sure you lay the part being sprayed in the position that it will be sitting in the car, that way the paint looks correct when is all dry)

2) Carpets: Bought some carpet shampoo, cleaned them the best I could. Went to canadian tire, bought 3 cans of $7 carpet spray-on paint, and covered them. Then bought a set of $10 black floor mats to lay under where my feet are.

3) Interior Items - Went to my local WalMart and bought 3m Spray adhesive glue (In an aersol can) and 2 metres of black pleather material. Just spray the item you're upholstering with a good layer of the glue, wrap the pleather around it, and staple gun/hot glue it into place. Using a hair dryer to heat up the material to make it strech better.

4) Seat belts - Haven't figured out that one yet - someone once told me dying the nylon in the belts can weaken them , so I haven't attempted changing their colors yet. Maybe swap them out for aftermarket ones?

on
    #1: yeah, thats what I was going to do (if I do end up painting them), just clean them and paint.

#2: hmm... hadn't given much thought to the carpet, so good suggestion.

#3 I figured I would leave the upholstering to someone more qualified then me.

#4: Not going to worry about that. My seats will probably be two-tone anyway. (grey/black) Which reminds me, I need to see if I can find a replacement and matching passenger Recaro seat.

Upholstering really isn't that hard at all - I'd never upholstered anything before I attempted my interior. The one piece of advice I can give you is when buying the vinyl use one of your longer nails and attempt to scratch the vinyl - if it scratches easily don't buy it! It will save you from having to constantly reupholster your interior.

most auto paint supply stores sell special paint made for interior parts, can be mixed or the major colors are available in spray cans. MarHyde and S.E.M. are 2 brands. prep with thinner and alcohol wash is main thing. ArmorAll and similar stuff are very hard to get off, but you have to get it off completely for it to stick properly. I did mine over 3 years ago, still looks great.

Get a spray can of Prep at Pep Boys - it will take the shiny finish off the plastic items. Go to an upholstery shop and get "good" vinyl (it stretches) in the color you want - also get some contact adhesive from the upholsterer. Brush on the contact adhesive and cover your parts in vinyl. This is the best way I've found. Looks and feels like leather. If you MUST paint, ask the upholsterer to paint the pieces with professional-grade trim paint. It won't chip or flake. For carpet, call JCWhitney and order # 78UY0151YF. Whatever you decide, do it right the first time - this project can EASILY turn into a BIG mess.

The best thing to do for the seat belts is to get a new set from JCWhitney - they have different colors, if you want. They have just the lap belts or a factory-type retractable set lap and shoulder. Man, I'd be worried that paint or dye will come off on seat or clothes as the belt rubs against you. this would be an ugly thing to find out after-the-fact !

Here I go dredging up the past again. Seatbelts, if you are concerned with the color and wear, buy new webbing. It is only about $3 a metre (Fiero belts are 11' long) take out the old and sew in the new. Use heavy nylon thread and take your time - it should look really good. The material is available most every outfitters shop.