Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Countach windscreen from another oem windscreen

Countach windscreen from another oem windscreen

Well;

I have tried twice to get a Countach windscreen from Alan at Euroexotics before he sold and both were broken in shipping. Another fellow up here on the West Coast and I bought 2 screens and 3 of the 4 screens were broken in two separate shipments. The other fellow got the good one as he has a completed Countach and needed the screen to be able to register the car in BC.

I am still on the hunt for a screen. I have been thinking about the large late 90's to mid 2000's van screens and wondered if they might have a close enough curvature to cut down and use in the Countach. The fact that Countach screens are almost flat, with about a 1" curvature at the top, I thought one of the old van screens that look like they have screens the size of a sheet of plywood in them, might be big enough and flat enough to work with some slight modifications to the Countach roof and a-pillars.

Anyone tried looking around for a donor screen before???

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I've read in a few places the mid 90's Ford Aerostar windshield can be made to work. I have not tried this myself or personally know anyone who has. Just something I have come across a time or two.

Kevin

On another note, I have been told I can not put flat glass in the opening as it won't fit due to the curvature of the window frame. At the same time I'm thinking I have the body, and will make the frame flat to fit the glass if need be. Kind of bugs me when someone tells me I can't do something.

Kevin

Thanks for the feedback Kevin;

I was thinking of the Aerostar or Lumina APV type screens myself. maybe I will go see if I can find an Aerostar screen and take a fiberglass mold and place into the Countach opening to see how close it is.... I was going to go about it the same way Sean did on his 430 replica by making a screen form from the original and then cut the required shape out of the fiberglass to see how close it comes.... That way I don't scrap a full new screen in the process of trying this out. A few layers of fiberglass is a lot less work to manipulate and cheaper to ruin if that comes to pass......

I was also thinking I would adjust the screen opening in the car to fit whatever comes up if I can't get a real or replica Countach screen....

I really don't want a fully flat screen if I can as I don't personally care for the final look of the flat screen. Even though the Countach only has about 1" of curvature, it makes a difference IMO.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Yeah, when my first windshield was shipped to me in a crate, it came by UPS. Ohio to Illinois, it was severely cracked. The replacement was positioned vertically in a wood frame, sent by freight truck & survived.

Shipping of screens seems to be more difficult these days. I shipped my 355 extended screen from Eastern Canada to Calgary no problem but everything else I have tried to ship since then has been damaged in some way. Some look like they were dripped, another had a fork tine go through the crate into one screen and others just poor crating by the looks of it....

makes me wonder how glass companies ship glass all over the world when we can't seem to get a few across North America.....

I am going to go see if i can find a mid 90's Areostar this weekend in a wrecker so I can pull the screen and do some fitment tests.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

All you need to do is make a cardboard cutout template of your kit opening and place it on the aerostar to see how close it Is

From another thread about Countach windshields:
    "Exotic rebodies said the Pontiac Transport Van was the best for Countach windshelds"

(not my words.)

Ah yes, Pontiac Transport van. That was the one I was originally thinking about but for the life of me, could not remember the name of the van. Thanks very much dwheeler.

90 - 93 version had the huge screen.

Fauxrrari;

I was thinking about that scenario as well but one thing I am also needing to check is the shape of the screen as well as the size. taking a cardboard template doesn't give me the shape around the edges etc. that I would want to check when fitting the screen. taking a fiberglass template from the full screen and then laying the cardboard template on it would give me both and not ruin a screen while I am at it.

Thanks for the input guys
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Don; 10-02-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added picture
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

The Oldsmobile Silhouette & Chevrolet Lumina were clones of the Transport.