Thread: Is it possible to fit an '88 suspension on an '87 (without too much trouble)

Is it possible to fit an '88 suspension on an '87 (without too much trouble)

I just ordered 1.5" drop spindles from HT/Arraut Motorsports. I spoke with Richard there about what I would need for my project. As I intend to upgrade the brakes on my 87 to 12" Corvette rotors and calipers all the way round, I was in need of some front hubs with the rotors "parted off". I saw on the web where WCF offered these rather reasonably priced, so I tried to call WCF for a couple of days, but as seems to be the case frequently, they don't answer their phone. Their answering machine said they would be closed Aug. 4th and reopen on Aug. 5th. Either that didn't happen, or they meant Aug. 5th of 2013. Richard helped me out with a solution to my problem. It's pricey, but I think it'll be worth it. He offered the 1.5" drop spindle (which I would need eventually anyway) with an upgraded 88 hub on it that uses the same larger bearing as the rear hub. He said that just modding my old hub/rotor then adding the C4 rotor on top of that would add unnecessary weight to the front end and place the weak stock spindle in danger of snapping. This spindle is supposed to be stronger, with a larger bearing, and won't need to have the old rotor/hub mod done to fit the C4 rotors on. It's $550 + shipping, so it's not an easy on the wallet purchase. This got me to thinking.... If the 88 suspension is so much better than the 87, is it possible to swap an 88 suspension onto my 87 without major rework? Is it a bolt on operation, or do hole not line up, need expensive adapters, etc. etc.????

Jntramey;

Depends on which suspension you are looking to fit. The rear suspension including cradle fits into the rear area no problem and only thing you need to do is move the strut tops forward and in by a couple inches each. I assume, though that you are talking about the front suspension.

The guy over on Pennocks, Fiero2M8 or whatever his name is in Ontario, the guy that took over the extended Fiero build from Bubbajoexxx, put an '88 front suspension in to his car. He had to do a bit of measuring and re drilled the mounting holes and welded in rear mounts to his frame but he put it in without too much difficulty. Compared to the work you are doing on the rest of the project, this wouldn't be too much of a problem. I think that work is detailed in the build thread about half way through to there about.... I'll see if I can find it and post here while I eat my lunch at work today.

One other thing to remember as well though is that the '88 front hubs/bearings are now very hard to come by from what I hear. You could get an '88 front suspension and still use the HT hubs so you have a more readily replaceable bearing set?

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Don; 10-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Found the link where the guy starts explaining what he did. This was an '88 front suspension into an '84 Indy but the frames should be the same or very close. Pretty sure the front frame stayed the same right though to '88 when it was changed out for all new suspension. He also updates the '88 hubs to Corvette hubs so he can use the Chev bolt pattern and stronger bearings.

newest project - Pennock's Fiero Forum

About half way down the page he starts explaining the cutting and welding and it goes for a few pages.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Jntramey,
    Speaking first hand, the conversion is not that difficult. Most important tools will be a tape measure, welder, and spot weld cutter.
    Here is my build from PFF, I used Ryan as a reference (Don mentioned above):
    88 front suspension on an 84 - 87 fiero - Pennock's Fiero Forum
    Also, I have a pair of cut down rotors for the pre-88s if you choose to go that way.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

The guys who auto cross say that the pre-88 front suspension is better. The 88 rear suspension or a bump steer kit with the earlier rear suspension is best. No experience here. I have Held suspension all the way around so I'm just passing on what I've heard.

Thanks guys!