Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexpected front-engine Aventador complication

Unexpected front-engine Aventador complication

Hello folks.

As I mentioned a little earlier, I now have a doner car to work with. It's a 97 Z-28 Camaro.

My friend and I have been studying the car for days now, mapping out what to do. In almost every area it's showing far more potential then originally anticipated. Particularly at the front end in dealing with the "pregnant" look, it's proving to offer double the room to work with as originally expected, though it IS suggesting that as much as 1/3 of the entire shell construction process could go in to this one area.

We DID however run in to one major problem.

I have reason to suspect that; despite what everyone is saying, those of you who have actually built kit cars and are familiar with what all is involved are aware that the front end of the Aventador has much greater comparability and potential with the Gen 4 Camaro's front layout then the Murcielago. But there is one critical area that is apparently proving to be the opposite, and now a major problem. That is the bumper.

It is a little too tall and forward sitting. I think you could probably just barely fit a Murcielago nose around it but the Aventador's nose is sloped inward. To make matters worse, my design includes the nose of the Aventador J which is even more sloped then the normal Aventador.

I called a friend who's a local cop to find out what I can legally get away with but only got his voice mail.

I'd like some ideas from you guys too though. Anyone familiar with California's laws regarding the modification of bumpers? Even better, anyone know of any slimmer replacement bumpers I can put on a 97 Camaro that might be a better fit?

Picture below shows the problem.

picture on top is a ROUGH layout of the most up to date incarnation of the design I'm working on (finer details not visible). Lower left shows the problem. The red outline shows the position of the bumper. Sizes, angle and position may not be exact. It's just roughly done to show the general problem. Lower right is a picture of the actual bumper I took a few minutes ago. For rather complex reasons I'd rather not get in to right now, it's not fully attached, just kinda hanging there.

Name:  nose problem.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by ronin; 10-03-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: picture added

When I did my Cobra in Calif, they only required a light and brake inspection. And smog of course. They were mainly concerned about the value of it for fees. I kept receipts and totalled it up for them. They didn't even look at the receipts, they trusted my total.

You're in Sacramento? I'm in Vacaville. Maybe I can come visit your project some time? I'm heading up to PicknPull to get at least a gas tank for my Countach build soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dwheeler View Post
    You're in Sacramento? I'm in Vacaville. Maybe I can come visit your project some time? I'm heading up to PicknPull to get at least a gas tank for my Countach build soon.
    Cool.

Right now, I have been given a week to move it to a yard. This was a pre-arranged agreement with my landlord. I have to talk with someone tomorrow about renting the use of a lot they have. If it all works out, It'll be there and the project fully underway by this time next week.

I am hesitant to photograph or have people I just met hanging out in front of my home due to the nature of what I do, but once I have it moved, you all are free to come by and visit any time you want, as long as you give prior notice and make sure I'll be there.

I'm in the neighborhood of Sunrise mall BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by dwheeler View Post
    When I did my Cobra in Calif, they only required a light and brake inspection. And smog of course. They were mainly concerned about the value of it for fees. I kept receipts and totalled it up for them. They didn't even look at the receipts, they trusted my total.
    Keeping ALL the receipts on this entire project is going to be a nightmare. Especially when it comes to lights and interior. LOL.
    Last edited by ronin; 10-03-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typho fix

Guy, the bumper you are worried about...? You CAN make a new one out of metal you know.

the bumper is ..not a problem.

goodluck

nature of what you do? Come on dude, your not 007 are you? Lol just teasing

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    Guy, the bumper you are worried about...? You CAN make a new one out of metal you know.

the bumper is ..not a problem.

goodluck

nature of what you do? Come on dude, your not 007 are you? Lol just teasing
    My only concern with the bumper is the legal matters. If I am LEGALLY free to modify it to my heart's content, I can and will very easily make it more of an asset then a problem. It's a dynamical no-brainer. California law is the only complication. Mainly the fact that I don't know or understand California laws on the matter.

onewickedsvt, I build weapons. Very potent weapons. I've had my home broken in on when I wasn't home and a Beretta 92FS Inox stolen. It's not hard to imagine the sort of things that people who steal and buy stolen guns intend to use them for. I also have reason to believe someone was disemboweled with a blade I constructed.

I have good reason to be nervous.
    Last edited by ronin; 10-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.

I'm only teasing 007.

disemboweled... Ok.. Anyway... Goodluck.

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    I'm only teasing 007.

disemboweled... Ok.. Anyway... Goodluck.
    Yep. I think it turned out to be a Mexican mafia hit over drugs or something. I don't know anyone directly involved. The blade just went through a bunch of different hands and eventually wound up in the hands of a murder. The last time I saw the blade myself, i was walking out of Winco with it attached to my belt buckle.When I discovered it missing on my way home. Went back looking for it and couldn't find it. That was the last time I ever used the belt clip on a pocket knife.

The murder took place 2 years after it went missing. The murder happened a couple blocks from my home. I investigated myself because; as you can probably relate to, I don't like people getting disemboweled a couple blocks from my door step. During the investigation, I saw a piece of the murder weapon's handle that had been removed prior to the murder. It had one of my signature features and was a perfect match to the knife lost.

Most folks who are not weapon people tend to be nervous with weapon people, but in reality, weapon people tend to understand better then most people the consequence of using them against other human beings and are therefor very careful with weapons. About a year ago, there was a thread on a gun forum about nightmares some of us (myself included) have had about using a gun in self-defense. Even I was surprised at how common it is among us.

There are allot of things I don't share in common with the weapon community but these fears and cautions are not among them. That is not to say I am paranoid about it. Just cautious.

007? I'm not a fan but I understand and appreciate the joking.

You can modify the bumper to your hearts content in California . There is no bumper test when registering a kit car , just smog and items like mirrors and lights .

Goodluck.

You should look into writing short stories and fiction.

you got some interesting story's to share.