Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camaro - Aventador build journal/tech discussion

Camaro - Aventador build journal/tech discussion

Now that it's been made clear that I mean business about this build and am in to the "hands-on" phase, I want to set up a master topic for updates and tech discussion on the project. In other words, for picking your brains about how to deal with the various obstacles along the way, get product suggestions and update you on progress.

Will start with a couple questions and product info request.

Taking this car apart has so far proven allot easier then I expected, except for one thing.

I'm trying to preserve the wiring. For one, the parts of the car that were not hit in the accident are in excellent condition and there are some I want to sell to help pay for the build, some I want to keep as replacement parts, and others (like the doors) that are coming right off of this one and going on the working car. Needless to say, I want to keep the electrical intact. Working with wiring is something I am not new to nor is the sort of work I am doing with this car (reminds me of building plastic model kits as a child) but I am having some issues figuring out where the wiring goes and how to reach the ends without damaging it.

ATM, there are 4 parts of the car I am trying to remove. The rear window/trunk lid, the roof and the two doors.

The rear lid is priority No.1 because it is not only valuable in the market but It's the first part of the car body I wish to replace. The only reason I wanna get the roof off is because it appears that it'll make getting the electrical off easier. Doors need to come back to my house for modification obviously.

So I am just looking for info and suggestions on getting the wiring out or getting it disconnected without damaging it.

Finally, not an immediate concern, but I've concluded that the suspension needs to be lowered 3 inches. Anyone have any suggestions of a good suspension spring kit that will get those results?

For the doors there is a rubber conduit in the door shut, pull it out and there is usualy a plug right inside the A-pillar, you can also get to it by removing the inside panel behind the A-pillar. Failing that take the door trim off and look in there. Boot lid is much the same, usualy there is a plug under the parcel shelf if not then unplug the high stop and numberplate lights inside the boot and pull the loom out. As for suspension you might want to consider coilovers, if not then you may need to shorten your shocks to maintain captivity of the spring. 2" is usualy the most you can get with just a spring swap. keep in mind you will need a new wheel alignment and maybe camber correction kit especialy with a 3" drop.

Keep in mind I'm not familiar with your car. Did I understand your quesions right?
    Anyway hope that helps
    Justin

good luck, nothing cheap about this car don't know how you're gonna budget it

I dont think there's a connector by the doors. You'll have to remove the inner door panel, unhook the window and lock motors, light on the window buttons, and the speaker.

I don't think there's a connector to easily diable the rear hatch either. At least, I never found it. I took the trim off unhooked the wiring, and left it on the chassis.

I'll say it again - I don't think you should modify the door mechanics at all. Your have your work cut out for you on this as it is. I'd leave the doors intact for now and just do the mods to make it look aventador. Part 2 should be worrying about lamborghini doors, IF there's still fuel in the tank after you've got it looking the way you want it.

Thanks, I'll see if that advice helps.

I've been researching coilovers. I really like the idea but anything more then the base type is useless and they only make the highest end versions for the Camaro. Given what my goal is, I may have no choice but to settle with a spring lowering kit for now and save up for one of the high-end kits.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK View Post
    I dont think there's a connector by the doors. You'll have to remove the inner door panel, unhook the window and lock motors, light on the window buttons, and the speaker.

I don't think there's a connector to easily diable the rear hatch either. At least, I never found it. I took the trim off unhooked the wiring, and left it on the chassis.

I'll say it again - I don't think you should modify the door mechanics at all. Your have your work cut out for you on this as it is. I'd leave the doors intact for now and just do the mods to make it look aventador. Part 2 should be worrying about lamborghini doors, IF there's still fuel in the tank after you've got it looking the way you want it.
    You can't make an Aventador look-alike without modifying the doors. You leave no room for some of the most pronounced characteristics of the car, namely the vent.

I know the doors are going to be tough. I stated before that I am expecting them to take up 1/3 of the entire body portion of the project. If need be, I can and will rewire the electronics. I am just looking for a more simple solution.

It DOES look like rewiring is inevitable though. Not because of the accessibility of the wires, but because it looks like they'll be too short for scissor door function. I hope I'm wrong.

Rewiring would make my own life easier as I could then just go clip it, get to work and rewire it after everything else is done but there are a few other people who have asked me about making duplicate shells for them. I'd like to keep it simple for their sake should that happen. Same for the rear lid. It would be long removed by now if it weren't for trying to preserve the wiring.
    Last edited by ronin; 10-15-2012 at 12:17 PM.

I put "lambo" doors on a couple Camaros about 8 or 10 years ago. The wiring isn't long enough in the doors. What I did, was cut, add length to, and solder each wire going into the door, one by one. Do not cut them all then chase them. Too much room for error IMHO. Especially if you arent versed in wiring. One of the difficult things was the fact that the doors shell and skin are all SMC, so I couldn't weld to them. I made a flat plate to weld the body side of the hinge on, and of course I had to section a peice of the substructure of the body out so that I could put it there. But on the door side, I had to make a metal plate that sandwhiched the door shell and keep it stable, but not make it too heavy for struts to lift safely. Also, of course the door had to pull out enough to clear the weatherstrip, and then go up.
    As far as taking off the roof, I'm kinda lost. The roof is bonded to the car. It doesn't come off without ruining it.

That's actually very useful info. I really appreciate it.

What you are saying about the roof seams consistent with my experience. I figured there was some hidden detaching method. I guess I was wrong. No biggie though. As long as it doesn't endanger the structural integrity of the vehicle, I don't mind cutting it out.

Your description of the door is pretty close to what I had in mind. I have to raise the bottom and slant the back inward. Otherwise there's no room for 2 of the 3 vents. I am probably going to use the stock windshield and door windows but there's some obvious need to rearrange the displacement of them. Slanting the windshield forward a few inches is more then aesthetic. There's a mechanical calling for it as well, directly related to getting the scissor doors working correctly. I am not going to make the doors go out then up. That defeats the purpose. They're just going to go up at an angle, much like on the real Aventador. I have an old treadmill frame I should be able to make the scissor door components out of. I'll have to redo the rubber trim to make it work right. I am not expecting them to be easy. On the contrary, I am expecting them to be the single hardest part of the entire project.

I WAS thinking about the wiring allot since my last post and I think I've been being stupid to worry about it. Anyone who wants to build a kit car based on that shell is going to have far greater obstacles I can do nothing to help them with and they'll have to replace it anyway.

BTW. What is SMC?
    Last edited by ronin; 10-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.

i dont think mounting a hinge on an angle is going to operate the door correctly, im almost 100 percent certain. Also what purpose is defeated if you use aftermarket lambo hinges? they only open out enough to clear the door well then up vertically, where as the real one opens out and up at the same time. whats wrong? scared to open your door out 12 inches?