Thread: Making seperate Rockers???

Making seperate Rockers???

I'm Thinking of seperating the rockers on my IFG 355 clone. I've seen Spyder do it on another thread, but have never seen the final result. My main question is do you also have to enlarge the upper vent to cover the gap? Also, does the car look too low in the middle? Does cutting the door/ adding to the rocker make the "tub"(floorpan, By making the rockers taller) deeper? Any clarification is greatly appreciated!

Re:Making seperate Rockers???

Drewg:
    I have an IFG clone as well on which I'm in the midst of make that same modification. I found that trimming the door would look much better than widening the scoop. I also raised the rocker by beefing up the side framerails. Also you'll find that the baseline/rocker line on the IFG kit has a slight, maybe 2-3 deg., forward slope. I'll be reworking the newly cut bottom edges to make parallel with the fiero rocker line/floorpan.
    Rob

I am also making separate rockers for my 355. I think it really adds a lot to the finished product.

I cut the bottom off my doors as well to make the scoop enlargement smaller than itf I had not. I cut about 1.5" off the bottom of the door and raised the rocker panel up with some 3/4" steel frames welded out from the door jamb and braced down to the Fiero rocker panel. I used a 1/4" particle board to get the shape of my new lower door jamb and then used that wood as the mold for my final fiberglass rocker and door jamb.

Here are a few early pictures of the rockers in and out of the car while still using the wood panel to give you some ideas. I also had to cut all the rest of the panels to get all the Ferrari body lines ot match up. I have also, since, cut the roof off to make a convertible.

If you need any other pics just reply back and I will take some particular ones you may want or need and post them.

Cheers
    Don

Rocker panel out or car for a better view. Picture did not turn out that well.

Rocker panel back in car for fitting.

A good view of the scoop section that needed adjusting to line everything up properly.

Lined up body lines and rocker panel as it sits under door panels. The Ferrari body lines still have a slight forward slope to them but they are not as bad as they were to start with.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Does anyones rear clip sit higher than the rear-upper frame rail. Mine does, am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by drewg
    Does anyones rear clip sit higher than the rear-upper frame rail. Mine does, am I doing something wrong?
    Hmm, dunno. Show us a pic so we could evaluate.

here are the pics. as you can see the rear clip doesnt sit on the upper rail. I dont know why I bother I'm trying to get rid of it anyway!

I have a set of full length rockers that I will sell you if you are intersted.

Quote Originally Posted by drewg
    Sometimes on theese 1 piece front and rear sections they dont fit like you would like them to.All you can do is find the happyist medium for all the parts installed with whatever shimming you can come up with.Than start makeing more permanint braceing.Than get out your body tools,and plenty of Bondo,and have fun.