Thread: IVA / SVA testing,would a cut and stretched MR2 ever pass ?

IVA / SVA testing,would a cut and stretched MR2 ever pass ?

Hi everyone
    I always wanted a lambo replica ,i know that you can purchase special made frames and add donor parts from other vehicles which can be very time consuming and costly.
    The other route would be stretching an Toyota Mr2.
    My question is, would a cut and stretched MR2 ever pass the scrutiny of an SVA/IVA testing as really the Toyota would be a cut and shut really and i thought that was a no no

Any input as usual would be fantastic
    Last edited by mrhartles; 10-27-2012 at 03:35 AM.

cutting and stretching is done the same way as they stretch limos if done correctly. so its perfectly safe to do this if the company or person stretching it knows what they are doing.

But that's the big "if"

Professional limo companies are not the ones stretching kit car chassis - it's some guy in his backyard who has never done it before . Very few are stretched correctly and almost none are stretched to the standards a professional limo company would do it

That's a but of a stretch, don't you think?

"The proper stretching of limousines is overseen by Lincoln and Cadillac through their QVM (Lincoln) and CMC (Cadillac) certification programs. Each stretched limo starts with a specially manufactured base vehicle from Lincoln or Cadillac with extra braking capacity and a stronger than normal suspension. Some companies cut costs (and compromise safety) by buying regular street cars and having them converted into stretch limousines in un-certified backroom shops. Only QVM/CMC vehicles have undergone the rigorous safety & crash testing required by the manufacturers and the Federal government."

So no, it's not as safe as a stretch limo. I'm sorry, but the thought of a stretched MR2 or Fiero being in the same category as a stretch limo is ridiculous. Toyota and Pontiac didn't design them to be stretched, and just adding lots of steel and support doesn't mean they're as good or better than before they were chopped and welded. That being said, I would still drive one.

all im saying is its done the same way ! get a cowboy to do it an itll fall apart. get someone who knows what it takes and itll be done right.

And all I'm saying is it's not done the same way. These cars we stretch are not full frame vehicles. They are unibody cars with crumple zones and energy dispersion built into the areas we cut, directly impacting their crash resistance. I agree there's a wrong way to stretch them. But as far as an established right way to do it, there's no way to be certain currently. I'm not against stretching them, but people think that adding steel and bracing makes them as crash capable, haven't studied occupant safety very much.