Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .6mm Mig welding wire.. Please help

.6mm Mig welding wire.. Please help

Hi Guys
    My old 120 amp mig used to work well with all wire, especially gasless wire. But that has gone and I now have a Cebora Pocket Turbo 130 machine which is bigger and better.

I bought 2 kgs of .8mm wire and it worked brilliantly. I am using CO2 for the gas.

I have now bought a 5kg roll of .6mm wire, same gas and it wont work at all, on any setting. its spits and pops and blobs and is awful...

Any ideas what is wrong?
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

It may just be too small of wire for the amperage you are welding at. When mine pops or crackles, I usually have to increase the wire feed speed or decrease the amperage. The wire is burning up to fast to keep a smooth arc.

Have you turned your guide/spindle round on the feed spool, 0.6mm is okay for thin plate, basically anything automotive, so should cope with all you throw at it. Heavy plate (still automotive) 180amp mig with 0.8mm for heat penetration, as a guide a mig weld should sound like tearing paper.

This man is a godsend for welding advice he's got loads of videos on you tube Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info
    D

I tried with the mig on all settings and wire at fast and low speeds, at best it looked like a bird had pooped on the metal once or twice I had a good run, but maybe you can't use .6mm on headers? Anway ordered some more .8mm tonight so no more unril that comes
    Regards
    Nick

The spindle guide is usually inside the mig welder next to the wire reel
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerrous View Post
    The spindle guide is usually inside the mig welder next to the wire reel
    D
    Thanks Daren, I didnt think of that LOL.. seriously, the Cebora pocket turbo 130 has a one groove fits all, everything from .6 to 1mm - ordered some more .8mm wire today.
    Regards
    Nick

Assume you have changed the tip to .8? blow air up the inner cable to clear any rust etc. need the Argo gas and try different settings make sure the feeder wheel is not slipping..

and check the grove in the feeder wheel is the right size??

How do you ground your mig? I used an ARC welder (not a very good choice in welders,for me),with my setup, I had to clamp the ground to the side of what Im welding.Poor ground,equils a poor weld. I allso noticed how,the Hot+ side,would become black with smoke and soot,this would have to be cleaned periodocalley,so the welding stick would have good contace on the Hot+ side.One trick that worked for me was to,attach a scrap piece of steel to my work area and drag my welding rod (in your case,the wire),back and forth a few times,this will heat up the metal red hot, and makes it easyer to start welding.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Last night I switched to .8mm wire that had a load of quality ISO markings on. Apprently there is a load of cheap chinese wire around that is rubbish. Everything is back to normal now. I think .6mm wire is too thin for 16 gauge tube, it seems to be OK on thin sheet though.
    I was also using an extension lead, which is a big no, now the MIG is plugged into the mains diremtly. I also treated it to new tips and a new shield

I found this guy called Mark (the welder), he is a star! I emailed him and he rang me up to help me out. There is some great advice on his site

markthewelder.co.uk
    Regards
    Nick