Thread: Porsche 914 Transaxle

Porsche 914 Transaxle

Given I don't have very easy access to transaxles around where I live, I would probably need to ship one in at a pretty hefty cost....

I have been looking around locally for a longitudinal transaxle for my 355 build mated to a 3.4 DOHC or my Countach build which would have the 3.8 S/C or 3.4 DOHC depending on what I ended up building first and what I want to do with the 355.

I found a '73 Porsche transaxle in the local ads. I went to Renegade Hybrids website and they regularly mate a V8 up to this transaxle. They say it wil handle up to 300 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque. They do say that they also rebuild the trans with taller gears for the V8 mating and usually block off 1st gear access unless the customer asks for it to stay available to them. I guess the 1st gear can't handle the big torque of the V8. They say up to 300 hp though so more than enough for what I want to do.

I plan to put a 215 hp v6 with about 210 ftlbs torque.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

If you go easy on it you will probably be OK. A better one would be the 6-speed from the Boxster S or Cayman. The Audi 01E or 01X would also be good choices.

txbuilder.

I agree with you on the other transaxles but I am finding these a long way away and every time I go to get a shipping quote, the shipping seems to be almost the same price as the purchase price on the other options....

Maybe I can find an 01X in Western Canada/NW US where the shipping won't be a few mortgage payments....

Do you know if the Porsche 914 transaxle is the same bell housing as some of the other transaxles out there, 016, 012, 01e, Boxster, 01x etc.?? I have looked around the net and can't seem to find what this bell housing matches to. If I can get this one for now as it is only a few hundred dollars and in my city, and it it matches up to another, stronger transaxle I can use this one to mock up and use to start and then have more time to find another, better one.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I have a 944 (with only 150 hp) and it has the deserved reputation that if you drag race or spin the wheels too much, you will break the pinion gear. Porsche designs things to be durable but not unnecessarily strong. You won't believe all the stuff that changes when they put a turbo on the 944, transaxle included.

The 914 only had 85 or 105 hp. I would not expect that transaxle to last very long under 300 hp.

I got a 6 speed unit from a 2005 turbo 911. Supposed to be good for 350hp.

I know someone that mated 914 trans to N*, he was preaty eminent that it would hold up to it. Looking at it I think it would just go boom one day.
    Not sure how much you are looking to pay for trans but here is one link Porsche 911 996 Carrera C2 3 4 Liter 1999 2001 6 SPD Manual Transmission G96 00 | eBay
    not a cheep option

The 914 has the same bellhousing pattern as the air cooled Porsches and the VW aircooled engines. KEP makes adapters for them.

I have used a 914 trans with a mild 275 hp v8,w/ Renegade adaptor 1st gear is useless because it would cause the engine to rev too high and the torque of the v8 did not need it to get the car to move from a dead stop like the 4cyl did. I never pulled hole shots with it but it held up fine under rolling pedal stabs. 911 trans is stronger, Renegade has good info. Good luck with your choice.