Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Fiero submerged in water.

My Fiero submerged in water.

Sandy the super storm that came crashing down on my hometown of Hoboken, NJ.. The update in my hometown of Hoboken is pretty much the same, very slow progress. Electrical power has been restored in some parts of the city but there still areas where there is no power, no hot water and no heat for many of us in our homes. There were many families that had to pack up and leave town to stay with friends, families and/or hotels outside ground zero. As for me, my house has sustained major damage, my vehicles totaled with the fiero added to that list, my two businesses were decimated beyond belief! Hence, a very difficult and depressing few days for us at home. However, went we were finally able to watch the news and hear people"s heartbreaking stories about love ones they lost, my lost does not stackup or come close to that kind of devastation! I am grateful that my family is safe and everything else is just material items that can be replaced but a love one. We will keep working hard to rebuilt what was lost, together as a strong family and hopefully close the chapter on this book.

We have began construction in my businesses and tomorrow a contractor will determined the cost of the construction to get back the way it was before. With that said, my question is the following for the members; my 1988 Fiero GT I purchased for my donorcar for my Reventon project was under 5 feet of contaminated water. My question is, since the entire car was submerged in water, I should not use it as my donor? I don't want any problems going forward. Please provide me with suggestions if should use or not? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue knight View Post
    My question is, since the entire car was submerged in water, I should not use it as my donor? I don't want any problems going forward. Please provide me with suggestions if should use or not? Thank you.

I wouldn't use it. All the electronics, including the connections, will be shot. Forget about the engine. There's a good reason the gov't makes sellers reveal "flood cars". Sorry to hear about your loss, but be glad if everyone is OK. Good luck.

Hate to see an 88 crushed...If your only use for the Fiero was the chassis, keep using ithe hard parts (chassis and suspension), but you will have to replace everything else, including wiring. Otherwise, part out the hard parts. Plenty of Fiero owners out there needing chassis and suspension parts.

Bob

Geez, I forget myself sometimes...Sorry for your losses. Glad you made it out in one piece.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Sorry to hear you got tied up in that storm. At least your family is safe. Sounds like your 88 has turned into a parts car. That’s too bad. At least you are just at a starting point and didn’t get the car almost finished. Like others have said the motor is trash as well as anything electrical. Much of the metal of the chassis is galvanized so you could still use some of it.

I fee bad for you. I'm also in NJ, Marlboro area, and our whole township lost power, internet, and phone signal for around 8-9 days. We ended up staying at some friends for a few days since it got really cold.

Anyway, hopefully your township gets restored soon. We have alot of downed trees, but luckily we have power now.

Wish you luck, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.
    Posted via HTC or Windows 10. Images hosted on www.PixelsBin.com.

My thoughts and prayers have been and will be with you all. It's going to take a long time to clean up that mess, but it's a miracle the losses weren't more severe.

I would like to agree with everyone else, that car is parts now. Sad, the '88 models are getting really hard to find. I would personally keep it, and use it for it's parts for a different Fiero. The only big issue will be the electrical, I wouldn't trust any of it. It will be a nightmare, because as those things get older, they corrode now that they've been wet, and begin to fail.

I bought a flooded mustang at auction. It had only been submerged up to the tires/halfway up the engine.. I replaced the interior, changed the fluids, and was on the road. Once winter hit, the brake lines froze and the rear brakes wouldn't release, so I had to redo the brakes. Ultimately, same thing happened to the clutch, so I replaced that too. Beyond that, I haven't had any issues with it. So, really it depends; you could get lucky with it, and still have a decent donor. Your electrical connections may need to be disconnected, greased with dielectric grease, and reconnected, as they do tend to corrode underwater, and not make a good connection. Without seeing the car, it's a tough call, but personally, I wouldn't be too eager to scrap it.
    Best wishes, and hope everything gets better for you and your community.

I hope you get things back together quickly. I've been in a couple of hurricanes and they are a giant mess.

I agree that the effort to properly clean the Fiero properly isn't worth it. You would spend much less time and money to just get another donor and then be that much sooner to having the Lambo.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK View Post
    I bought a flooded mustang at auction. It had only been submerged up to the tires/halfway up the engine.. I replaced the interior, changed the fluids, and was on the road. Once winter hit, the brake lines froze and the rear brakes wouldn't release, so I had to redo the brakes. Ultimately, same thing happened to the clutch, so I replaced that too. Beyond that, I haven't had any issues with it. So, really it depends; you could get lucky with it, and still have a decent donor. Your electrical connections may need to be disconnected, greased with dielectric grease, and reconnected, as they do tend to corrode underwater, and not make a good connection. Without seeing the car, it's a tough call, but personally, I wouldn't be too eager to scrap it.
    Best wishes, and hope everything gets better for you and your community.
    The difference here might not only be water height (5 ft is enough to submerge a Fiero I would think) but that it's likely salt water, mixed with sewage and all sort of other fun contaminates. I wouldn't risk it on this one, personally. If it was already built, then maybe. But not a good start for a donor.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Sorry to hear you got tied up in that storm. At least your family is safe. Sounds like your 88 has turned into a parts car. Thatís too bad. At least you are just at a starting point and didnít get the car almost finished. Like others have said the motor is trash as well as anything electrical. Much of the metal of the chassis is galvanized so you could still use some of it.
    Why is a motor totalled after water damage ?? shouldnt the 'hardware' be still usable, if you disassemble, clean and then assemble the motor back again?