Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital speedometer

Digital speedometer

Hey guys ist possible to use honda civic digital speedometer in a kit car ?

Anything is possible , but it's going to be difficult to get the sensors wired in

Much simpler to use a smartphone screen running a gps speedometer app. No connections needed besides power

Im wondering if i can disconnect the small display that shows speed and then connect it to aftermarket speedometer

There are aftermarket speedos out that use GPS to calibrate. Search your favorite gauge manufacturer.

all of the newer cars drive their instrument panels from OBD bus minus warning lights like set bels driving lights and whats so. Adapting Civic cluster will be fairly hard to do as it is coded to drive from 4 cylinder engine. If you know if basic programing and some electronics you can build your own interface to the LCD display panels

create your own , DashCommand - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. .
    One guy made a Lexus LFA skin, only bad thing is you must have a carpc to run,,, the pc is most exspensive part, found couple around $300 then around another 150-200 for screen etc...

This LFA mod looks amazing!
    VID_20120911_222350.mp4 - YouTube
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Dash Command or Rev with an iPad mini in the dash.
    FIRST EVER IPAD MINI INSTALLED INTO DASHBOARD OF A CAR - YouTube

I have the KIWI2 - OBD2 ( Kiwi Wifi ) cable and I run FuzzyCar for testing. It is so cool to walk around the car and read all the sensor info from your phone wirelessly.

iPad and Dash Command
    DashcommandTutorial.MP4 - YouTube
    Last edited by jdinner; 11-06-2012 at 04:34 AM.

The thing is that citroen gt's speedometer is a transparent screen same concept as in jet fighters (HUD) but with aftermarket hubs you cant really see anything in a day time ive look in to dashcommands and all of them load pretty slow pc and iphones/ipads maybe ill try to put a screen into center console but for speedometer i would like to have digital screen not lcd to give better idea of what i want think digital clocks or old cars with digital gauges civic's speedometer is 3"x2" and looks nice
    Last edited by Quso; 11-06-2012 at 07:57 AM.

I meant LCD as the one in Civic. They are still LCD but bit different construction and predefined character set. If you rip the guts out you will have the LCD (glass) which I beleive will be dark or opaque to see through and different segments will turn translusent when activated. In cluster background light will shine through making characters more visable.
    If I'm not mistaken you want reverse of that. Have see through glass and when active perticular segments go dark.