Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Track?Fiero Suspension Upgrades

Wide Track?Fiero Suspension Upgrades

I'm considering my options to upgrade my 88 Fiero F355 spider suspension set up.Currently its stock with lowering springs.I have about 1 inch spacers in the front and 3 in the back.I dont autocross my car but occasionally like to take a nice turn on the street.I'm looking for comfort,quiet and sporty.Should I go coil overs?What shock and struts are good?How about the wide track set ups do they make a difference are they worth the $$$?Anyone with experience please help me with some options and recommendations?

My opinion is that it does not matter. I originally planned on using a wide track suspension on my AD355 build, but ended up with a set up like yours. 1" spacer on the front and 3" on the rear. The issue is that no matter what you do to a Fiero, it is still not going to handle like a modern car. Yes, it will handle a bit better with a wide track, but after you cut off the roof, the car will not be a track car anymore. The Fiero chassis will flex with either suspension. The big thing to think about are the front bearings. The 88 Fieros break front bearings and OEM quality ones are not made anymore. Better to have spares now.

the wide track changes the scrub radius this changes the "kick back" it also eliminates the draging of the tire when you make turns in addition to above comments

The change in scrub radius feels like a 84-87 Fiero to me.

So the wide track isnt worth the big $$$?How bout coil overs?

This is only my opinion. I’m not an expert in any sense of the word.

Benefits to Coilovers:
    Coilovers have the benefit of being able to raise and lower the suspension quickly and easily, They are available in a variety of different spring rates so you can adjust the firmness of your ride by simply sliding in a different spring instead of having to compress the spring with a spring compressor and all that. Lastly, using coilovers gives you a lot more room to add wider tires/wheels.

The only drawback is the quality of the ride may suffer a little. Coilovers are much smaller in diameter than the stock coil springs. So, the vehicle may not ride as well as it did before. Many people such as myself have no other choice due to the huge tires and wheels we use. I am currently running stock springs with longer (lower ball joints) in the front and coilovers in the rear. Since my build is not complete I have only driven my car for short rides around the block. So far, the ride is good. Although the real test will be when I start taking some hard cornering over uneven roads.

Im looking to run bigger wheels so a little extra room is a plus being able to adjust my height would come in handy.Thanks for all the replies now just wondering if the wide track is worth the $2000?

For my opinion, I say wide track is worth the work/cost just to get the spacers out of the picture. The rears are usually quite a bit larger like your 3" spacers. When looking at the stock Fiero hub and rim combo, you have an offset of the rim to place the centre of the wheel, therefore side forces etc. more or less in the middle of the bearing. When you add 3" spacers, you end up moving that force centre line further out so you end up putting some strain on the bearings that were not originally designed into them. Also, having said that, there are many folks here that have used the spacers with little or no issue in daily/road driving. If you are going to want to road rally the car or autocross, etc. you will want to try to remove the spacers for the side load risks.

For the fronts, a spacer changes the scrub radius of the front tires so tight,slow corners will cause undue wear on your tires. It also pushes the rims out so that when you turn hard, there is quite often a rub issue with the wheel well on these kits.

As for coil overs, I agree with and back everything MacGyver said above. If you do nothing else, a set of coil overs are worth the cost and effort to make.

I have made my own wide track suspension and it wasn't hard to do. There is also a fellow (Bloozberry) over on Pennock's in the Construction Zone working through some VERY detailed investigation of the Fiero suspension and making a wide track setup for his 355 kit. Might be worth a read through. Not a short read but well worth it in my opinion. The thread is called Blooze Own: 355 build Blooze Own: An F355 Six Speed N* Build Thread - Pennock's Fiero Forum

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks for the great input guys.I really wanted to used Konis but it appears they no longer are available for the 88s up front.Anyone recommend a great shock/strut compo for coilovers?And if I go coilovers can I used them on the wide track?Thanks as I'm a beginner.

I have coil overs on the rear of both my AD355 and my daily driver. After suffering from weird handling after lowering, I ditched the KYBs and run only Konis now. I will not use any other shock by Koni now.

And the cheapest place I could find Konis is from Koni NA.
    Koni North America - ITT -1988 Pontiac Fiero Catalog Search