Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Engine Infiniti Concept

Mid-Engine Infiniti Concept

It seems thereís always a compromise when building a Kit or replicar in the way of power options, accuracy to the real car and budget limits to name a few. Iím on my 2nd kit car now and again realize the reality of what it will take to make the car a great one. When looking for new ideas for a different donor chassis or brake and engine swaps there will usually be something that wonít work and itís too much of a stumbling block to make you go forward. After seeing Fugazziís Build Diary Iíve began to look more at the foreign cars for inspiration. I recently found a compelling combination in a common everyday car. For your consumption give you the Infiniti Q45, 1990-1996.
    Brief vehicle specs:
    =RWD 4 door sedan
    =V8 engine 278 HP (tuners believe this was the Ďpublishedí HP rating and actual is 300-305!)
    =Motor has 6-bolt main and is a good candidate for turbo charging.
    =292 ft lb torque
    =4 wheel disc ABS
    =0-60 mph 6.7 sec !

If and when I build my 3rd car, I want it to have it all:.True V8 mid-engine layout like all supercars, great brakes and handling, reliability to drive anytime and affordable cost. Hereís my little plan for this monster of a car.
    -Pull the transversely mounted V8 from the front and move it to a mid engine layout where the rear seats were located in a semi-cradle frame of my own design.
    - Mate the V8 to an Audi A4 or A6 5 speed manual gearbox, (I can machine an adapter myself.) and make a cable shift mechanism.
    -Adapt stock rear axles to Audi Trans output flanges.
    -Move radiator/AC condenser to the side/rear like a Lamborghini/512TR
    -Extend electrical harness connectors to the rear to reach engine.
    -Run fuel and power lines from engine to front of car.
    -Re-locate fuel tank with stock fuel pump, Front engine compartment seems like the obvious place for tank.
    -Remove roof and 4 doors, B-pillar and add Rollbar and upper frame tubing to mate to new body.

A good portion of the work be moving stock Infiniti components and extending connections, the car will operate as stock and retains all power accessories.

These are the benefits of this build learned from my past experience:
    -No crazy wiring to figure out, like putting a Northstar or 3800 in a Fiero.
    -All steering, brakes, fuel pump and wheelbase are as stock, unchanged.
    -You have a V8, all the connections are already there, just move it.
    -Register and insure it as an Infiniti.
    -Used Infiniti Q45ís are chaep. Great running condition cars are selling in my area for as low as $1,500. This is a great engine according to all I have read.
    -Have you heard what these engines sound like with a tuned exhaust system? All 32 valves singing their melody? It really sounds like an exotic. Look on Youtube.

I had to include some eye-candy for this thread, excuse my poor SketchUp skills, believe me my fabricating skills are much better, Vinny
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Remember, there is always next year.

Here's a few more mock-ups, Please add your thoughts and ideas to the thread,
    Regards, Vinny

Cool idea man, Im going to drop some designs on that platform if you dont mind and see its proportion limits...
    With Canadian laws, I dont think we can import kit cars, but build it ourselves...specially building a Lambo A pillar roof cage, but I would be very interested in one if you went through with it when I have capital.

Currently Im a fan of the Chrysler Intrepid for redesign ideas and future dreams with an engine location swap method using an LS1... I particularly like it for the already cab forward roof top.

I recently made a thread for making a mid engine 300 ZX that I havent posted here
    TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Dreamers corner, making a mid engine ZX

A ZX with a Q45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hLQtXRAqU
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

ArashB, I've seen your design skills in the Fugazzi Thread and I hope to be as talented as you with design. I looked at the links you posted and saw the 300ZX with the V8 VH45DE swap, wow that car is fast ! Funny you mention the Dodge intrepid, I worked for Chrysler for 20 years and looked at that car many times wondering what could be done with it. I think I still have my intrepid/Diablo drawings! Yes, definitly jump in here, I saw so much potential, but don't know if I covered everything. The Infiniti chassis is a rather long wheelbase at 113 inches/287 cm. The Nissan R390 GT1 Supercar is also in mind, I think there's one in the whole world that's street driven. Here's a pic

Quote Originally Posted by TRcrazy View Post
    It seems there’s always a compromise when building a Kit or replicar in the way of power options, accuracy to the real car and budget limits to name a few. I’m on my 2nd kit car now and again realize the reality of what it will take to make the car a great one. When looking for new ideas for a different donor chassis or brake and engine swaps there will usually be something that won’t work and it’s too much of a stumbling block to make you go forward. After seeing Fugazzi’s Build Diary I’ve began to look more at the foreign cars for inspiration. I recently found a compelling combination in a common everyday car. For your consumption give you the Infiniti Q45, 1990-1996.
    Brief vehicle specs:
    =RWD 4 door sedan
    =V8 engine 278 HP (tuners believe this was the ‘published’ HP rating and actual is 300-305!)
    =Motor has 6-bolt main and is a good candidate for turbo charging.
    =292 ft lb torque
    =4 wheel disc ABS
    =0-60 mph 6.7 sec !

If and when I build my 3rd car, I want it to have it all:.True V8 mid-engine layout like all supercars, great brakes and handling, reliability to drive anytime and affordable cost. Here’s my little plan for this monster of a car.
    -Pull the transversely mounted V8 from the front and move it to a mid engine layout where the rear seats were located in a semi-cradle frame of my own design.
    - Mate the V8 to an Audi A4 or A6 5 speed manual gearbox, (I can machine an adapter myself.) and make a cable shift mechanism.
    -Adapt stock rear axles to Audi Trans output flanges.
    -Move radiator/AC condenser to the side/rear like a Lamborghini/512TR
    -Extend electrical harness connectors to the rear to reach engine.
    -Run fuel and power lines from engine to front of car.
    -Re-locate fuel tank with stock fuel pump, Front engine compartment seems like the obvious place for tank.
    -Remove roof and 4 doors, B-pillar and add Rollbar and upper frame tubing to mate to new body.

A good portion of the work be moving stock Infiniti components and extending connections, the car will operate as stock and retains all power accessories.

These are the benefits of this build learned from my past experience:
    -No crazy wiring to figure out, like putting a Northstar or 3800 in a Fiero.
    -All steering, brakes, fuel pump and wheelbase are as stock, unchanged.
    -You have a V8, all the connections are already there, just move it.
    -Register and insure it as an Infiniti.
    -Used Infiniti Q45’s are chaep. Great running condition cars are selling in my area for as low as $1,500. This is a great engine according to all I have read.
    -Have you heard what these engines sound like with a tuned exhaust system? All 32 valves singing their melody? It really sounds like an exotic. Look on Youtube.

I had to include some eye-candy for this thread, excuse my poor SketchUp skills, believe me my fabricating skills are much better, Vinny
    Im right there with you man, Iv been planing a space frame supercar using lexus sc400. cars are super cheap, all aluminum v8, front and rear k members look just like the ones you have pictured. Aluminum suspension, 12" brakes stock. You would use every component of the donor down to the wiring and AC. I would sell a body, a frame that everything bolts to. all you would have to buy would be the donor, tranny and adapter.

Hey Matt, good to see you comment on this as your build inspired me to look further at these cars for donors. All the features you mentioned above are already acceptable for a fast car, This is in the style of Factory Five's first Cobra replica that used well over half of the donor Mustang's components. Actually, I would drive it as a rear engine 4-door sedan for a while just to see people's reactions! For a shifter I think this A6 mechanism would be a good start. Vinny

I didn't research far enough to realize that the Q45 uses a rear suspension cradle Matt. This actually makes for less fabricating because there is already a cross member there to modify / build on. This is getting better! Vinny

Well being its sunday, I have some time to post more ideas on this car. I've always been a fan of GT1 class race cars especially the Mercedes CLK GTR. Borowing from their rear suspension design I drew up a sketch of the rear cradle V2.

Name:  nhghn.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  55.6 KB I know right! check the lexus stuff

Name:  uhyghjk.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  53.4 KB All aluminum xmember. there is so much treasure to be found in these cars. millions of dollars of development and now you can get all of it for a couple of grand.