Thread: 180* Headers for 60* engines

180* Headers for 60* engines

I have been banging around the net looking for some 180* headers for the 60*V6's so many of us use in the replicas and found a guy that did a 3400 60* set over on 60Degrres.com. Link below. The car sounds very good compared to the normal exhaust note we get.

He twinned up 1/4, 2/5, 3/6 and then pulled them all into a 3 to 1 collector over the trans. His was in a front engined car so anyone doing a Fiero replica could swap the routing to go over to the front side and through stock exhaust routing or could still run over the back and exit similar to the 3800's etc.

Pretty good info and some good pics on what he did.

I have ideas for my 3400 DOHC in the 355 but but now I need to see what the same setup would be for a 3800 S/C in my 308 since they are 90* engines not 60*. What runners need to be paired for180* headers for that?

Fun/Fun..... A build over the Xmas period perhaps?????

Cheers
    Don

3400 N/A Monte Build Thread
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I need a set for my 355/3800 turbo.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I want a set!

I also posted over on Pennock's to get some more info on the pairing needed for the 3800 if it was different from the 60* and one of the guys there said that these are pretty much the same as the 60*. He also said that we shouldn't bother with this type of exhaust and just do equal length headers as the banks end up being 240* apart already per bank. The thing that makes these cars sound like they do is teh log style exhaust primaries not the firing order etc.

I may do an equal length set to start to see if it works out but I like the sound that the pairing up does for the exhaust. No increase in power will be seen just a different sound which is kind of what we are looking for anyway......

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

You need equal length headers and equal length tubes leading into the y-pipe. If one side is longer it makes the pulses uneven.

I don't get why you are putting 180* headers on a V6, am I misreading it? The only reason for 180's is for use on cross plane V8s (ie LS1, Coyote, SBC, SBF), because they have an uneven firing order, the 180s even up the firing of the left and right banks like a single plane crank (Ferrari, Masserati, Mclaren).

guitaraholic;

You are correct that is evens out the pulses of the V8 to sound so much nicer. I was asking if the same thing could be done to have the 60* engines not sound so terrible. 3800's especially as, in my opinion, they sound terrible. Great power and a good swap for the Fieros but they don't sound very nice. Just my opinion.

I found out that the 60* headers can be mated between 2 cylinder pairs for a different, more European sound. A fellow over on another forum posted his 3.4 DOHC, if I remember correctly, that he did the mating with and the car sounds very good.

I will see if I can find the thread again. Pretty sure it is over on Pennock's as that is where I started the discussion and got beat up for asking........

Here is the link.

3400 N/A Monte Build Thread

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I can understand the desire to get that European sound, my exhaust is designed specifically for that reason, doesn't sound like a V8 at all, the Audi engine is so sharp, It's very close to a TUBI exhaust note, here's a rough unfinshed example by EFI express on the Same engine
    Audi ABZ powered URQ on VEMS, first startup - YouTube