Thread: Trying to save some time

Trying to save some time

Here's a pic of the inside (ugly part) of my engine cover. I wanted sharper line's and didn't want to spent forever (or a gallon of filler) on it. So I attached figerglass reinforced board to it with PL Premium adhesive and I'm smoothing out the seams with filler. It also is adding rigidity, so hopefully I won't have any twisting problem's.

Re:Trying to save some time

That is a GREAT Idea! I was dreading bringing out the bondo to smooth that out. That would be so much cleaner looking and easier. It's looking awesome so far.

Thanks for sharing!

Good idea to save some time ..where did you get the fiber-board ?..is it actually just flat sheets of fiberglass or a card board kind of composite...thanks

Fiberglass reinforced board (FRB) can be purchased at Home Depot, Carter, 84, Lowes, etc. (about $30 for a 4x8 sheet)
    It's pebbled on one side and smooth on the other. It's used in showers and some public bathrooms. Cuts easily with tin snips (even easier if you warm it in the sun). I've done all my "closing up" work with it. Including making inner fender wells. You can sand it, bend it, and fiberglass to it. It's saved me a ton of time and headaches. I used it here to close up the void between the body and the chassis. There's a lot of great idea's on this site. Wish I'd logged on two year's ago. Who know's...I may have been done by now!

You've just made redoing my kit 100 times easier. I was debating on whether or not to use thin wood, but I didn't want to work with wood. Plus it warps in wet weather and I have a feeling it may be going through another winter outside.

I love this Board!!!

WHAT?!? Winter outside?? How could you?! You may need parenting classes on how to better care for your baby. Just kiddin'.

I'm a jerk! What can I say :P

;D