Thread: Steering shaft bearing

Steering shaft bearing

My steering wheel in the F40 is getting increased play (I can wiggle it from side to side and up and down) I am assuming it is a worn out bearing in the steering column. My Haynes manual does not cover removal or replacement. Anybody done this? And how difficult is it? Thanks in advance, Steve

If it's a GM column, there are 3 bolts in the tilt area that are loose. You have to pull the entire column apart to get to them, and you will need a couple special tools. Fiero sites have outline this proceedure. If it's not a GM column, we will need more info....

A followup on this: After consulting Pennocks, and Google, I found all kinds of step by step with photos procedure for this. bought a steering wheel puller and spring plate compresser at Autozone- a must for the job. when the column was disassembled, I got lucky and just tightened the two bottom torx bolts (did not need to do the two top ones, which require more disassembly) and the play disappeared completely. The whole job along with some cursing, took me about 4 hours; with my ipad on the passenger seat as a reference. steve