Thread: My experience with VHTís Wrinkle paint

My experience with VHTís Wrinkle paint

I just thought I would give you guys a heads up on VHTís Wrinkle paint. I had used this stuff over 25 years ago and wanted to use it again on my current build. I wanted to paint my fake Ferrari intake with red Wrinkle paint and the oil reservoir with black. Believe it or not I still had a half a spray can of the black sitting on my garage shelf. Yep! It was over 25 years old. There was still pressure in the can but nothing would come out of the nozzle. Soooooo, I poked a hole in the can and let all the propellant out, poured it into a spray gun and used it. The part came out perfect. When I moved onto the intake I purchased a new can of VHT Wrinkle paint in red. I sprayed it the same way as the old black stuff but the finish came out lousy. I started reading around the net as well as going to VHTís website. Many people suggest to use a heat gun or put the piece in the oven to cure at 200 degrees as well as painting the parts in the sun. After several attempts I found that process did not work well and didnít give acceptable results. Now that I have moved onto a second can I finally figured out how to get good results.
    If your part has lots of curves and angles such as my intake. Mount it to a board or something so you can move it around without touching it.
    Spray a tack coat and wait 5 minutes
    Spray 2 to 3 medium wet coats allowing 5 Ė 10 minutes between each coat.
    Do not try to speed up the process by putting the item in the sun or using a heat gun. Doing so will make the paint sag and will end up causing a very small wrinkling effect.
    You must build up a good layer or the paint will not wrinkle evenly or may not wrinkle at all.
    If you should add to much paint and it starts to sag in places as it sets up. Move the part around and keep that from happening.
    After a couple of hours you wonít need to monitor it anymore from sagging but keep it away from the heat until it fully wrinkles. Preferably overnight.
    By keeping heat away from the part until itís dry to the touch will cause the best wrinkling effect. After 24 hours the paint will be dry to the touch but will stay soft for days.
    The best I can tell. If you have an area that doesnít wrinkle to your liking. Donít think you can touch it up. You canít. You need to strip the whole part and start all over again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very cool Sean. Show us a pic of your fake engine as well please to see the effect on the part.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I will soon Don – Although I need to wait a week or so for my wrinkle paint to completely setup, pick up some bolts and screws and etc. I’ll be moving onto other tasks in the meantime.

sounds like the new cans have too much thinners in them. I had found similar problem with other paints as well. New batches of paint are much thinner and need more heavier coats to do same job as old paint from few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    sounds like the new cans have too much thinners in them. I had found similar problem with other paints as well. New batches of paint are much thinner and need more heavier coats to do same job as old paint from few years back.
    Yes - I’m sure you are absolutely correct. I think they also changed their formulas as well to meet standards. My favorite paint was Krylon Semi Flat black. Now it’s off the market at local stores. Bummer…. Even if you can find it. It’s not the same as it used to be.