Thread: How do you tell if this is a oil pan or main seal leak?

How do you tell if this is a oil pan or main seal leak?

Do I need to unbolt the flywheel?

I would clean it up and then inspect it after a day of driving. I would also tighten the oil pan bolts a bit to see if it cures it. Next would be to know how many miles or years are on that seal.

If the crank seal is leaking this could be due to excessive movement on the thrust washers if the crank has them, mileage of the car is usually a hint of where the wear is likely to be. Replacing the oil seal is easy but not a job for the heavy handed, these seals are delicate. However if it's the sump gasket (more than likely) go with the inspection as mentioned above just to be sure. As with most rubber gaskets age/heat/oil get to them, they become hard and crack... then leak.
    D

Hard to tell what is leaking for sure. Since it looks like you already have it apart. You might just as well change both.

Its a 1993 camaro LT1, has about 40,000klm's on it now. I do have the transmission out so I think I'll take the flywheel off and have a closer look at the seal.

If the power plant has only 40k on it AND the oil seal has gone, take the sump off and have a look around the crank for movement on thrust washers and mains, oil seals are typically good for at least 100000 miles even on an abused engine, if they're okay (should be) then look at the oil path to the seal making sure it's not clogged with sediment. I still think the sump gasket and bolts will be your problem.
    D