Thread: Is side window crack repairable?

Is side window crack repairable?

Does anybody know if side window glass is repairable if you have small crack like this? Glass repair shops wont do it, they it will shatter. I was wondering if there are any home remedies used to stop it from spreading.

I can't tell what the photo is.

Typically, Side window glass is tempered glass. Tempered glass can’t be repaired, cut, or buffed to remove scratches. Only replaced.

I have never seen a crack in tempered glass.

They have windshield repair kits at most auto stores. It's basically some clear liquid applied to the glass, then a piece of cellophane/film that you put over it while it dries. I was never very happy with the results, especially aesthetically. I did use it on a tiny spider crack/rock chip once, and tho it didnt look the best, the crack never spread. Might be worth a try.

That must be a window from naerc. They seem to crack for no reason.
    Rehberg Motorcars lamborghini replicars and custom built cars Automotive EZ Commerce

I think he can get new windows.

To keep the crack from spreading, you have to drill a hole in the end of the cracks with a diamond bit. This keeps the crack from having a sharp edge to spread from. Then you use the clear epoxy on it to fill the holes, and bond the cracks. But if you haven't done it before, I wouldn't really recommend trying on a side glass like that. Although, most side glass is tempered, and doesn't crack, this is obviously laminated glass.
    Last edited by RUSHAVED; 02-13-2013 at 10:26 AM.

It's laminated glass , take it to a glass shop a have them cut a new piece , I doubt it is curved . This is why laminated is not usually used on side glass , the shocks of closing doors will usually crack it .

Quote Originally Posted by dhart99 View Post
    It's laminated glass , take it to a glass shop a have them cut a new piece , I doubt it is curved . This is why laminated is not usually used on side glass , the shocks of closing doors will usually crack it .
    It is curved glass. naerc sold the side glass like that, laminated.

Jdinner is correct, it is side curved NAERC glass. Do you know what Rehberg motorcars charges for a side glass?

Usually tempered glass is used in that cases, which is non-repairable...

Tempered glass will not crack. It will shatter into thousands of tiny pieces and crumble if not laminated. Laminated glass, such as a windshield, will crack but it is all but impossible to fix it. A good glass shop might be able to drill a hole to stop the crack but they cannot camouflage the crack so you cannot see it. I have used the rock chip repairs for windshields and while they do a good job you can still see it if you look close. The glue used for that does help stop cracks from spreading from the chip.