Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatís your opinion on paint

Whatís your opinion on paint

Whatís your opinion

Iím trying to make a decision deciding to paint my build with single stage or two stage.
    Since the color will be a non metallic I was leaning towards single stage.

Whatís your opinion and why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I had my 308 painted two stage and the painter added a couple extra coats of clear. This gives good depth to the paint and allows for wet sanding to smooth out the finish.

He told me it isn't any harder to paint, just longer as there are more coats...... I wouldn't know the technical details of single stage vs. two stage.

Good luck with the painting. I am looking forward to seeing it in colour.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I would always use base-clear 2 stage paint for ease of maintenance. There is a good reason that OEM's went to it years ago. I hate the mess of polishing single stage, and it's simply harder to keep a shine on. Not to mention never having the depth of clarity that a good clear coat over a vibrant base will give. You could single stage jambs and under bonnet/trunk, etc. But that's all I would do.

+2 on base/clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSHAVED View Post
    I would always use base-clear 2 stage paint for ease of maintenance. There is a good reason that OEM's went to it years ago. I hate the mess of polishing single stage, and it's simply harder to keep a shine on. Not to mention never having the depth of clarity that a good clear coat over a vibrant base will give. You could single stage jambs and under bonnet/trunk, etc. But that's all I would do.

Mac,

As a PPG Certified Automotive Refinish Technician (Gold), I want to urge you to using a 2 stage (base coat/clear coat) paint system. The benefits of the two stage system far out weigh the "simplicity" of a one stage coating.

You'll have more options and you'll be left with a far superior finish over the years with a proper 2 stage application. I can get into the exact chemical make ups and specifics if you need... but as a general, I would seriously suggest doing a 2 stage spray.

If you need help, please ask (the only bad question is the one that goes unasked, even the simple questions answered correctly is worth more than you can imagine)... your a good man and I'm willing to help you any way that I can.

-Active

Hello Mac.... this is just my opinion based on what I have experienced over the last 20 years of painting. I am an Air craft painter for Helicopters on the Gulf coast. I also paint cars from my shop at home on the spare time. I deal with alot of paint abuse and longevity issues, and have dealt with many products and manufacturers along the way. Proving and/or debunking their claims as "leaders" in their respective paint industries.

Based on that. Well, its not a perfectly simple answer. Single stage is of course easy and fast to apply. Any good single stage polyurethane or urethane paint can be sanded and buffed. Some easier than others. Base coat/clear coats have incredible depth and a top shelf product will last a long time. But you have to spray the extra coats as compared to single stage. In my business we have found that the single stage paints hold up better for corrosion. But that's not necessarily an issue for our builds since they are fiberglass or other such substrates, not metals. We have found that most single stages fade a few shades over the years, especially reds, yellows, etc. But even with the fading, they provided exceptional corrosion control. Base clear coat jobs for some of our costumers, did not provide longest term corrosion values but the colors held up great. Seems the UV protectants in high end Clear's hold out the Sun's harmful effects better.

What we have come up with for best protection and overall color retention in our field is this (when our clients will agree): Single stage paints (polyurethanes and Urethane's alike), have great pigmentation and great adhesion to a properly prepared, and primed substrate. Most automotive base/clears have a lacquer or air dried base coat and an epoxy/activated clear coat. The clears hold up well but in time can peel off the oxidizing base coat. So what we do for customer jobs is combine the two. As such. Prime and paint your vehicle with your high end ( don't cheat yourself) single stage paint. Applying at least 3 coats. Max of 4 to 5 mils thickness. After its fully cured, Using 400 to 600 Grit, carefully color sand that paint job to remove blemishes and orange peel from the part. If you over sand and break through or create shadowing because you sanded too deep, just repaint that one part and re-sand that part later. Once the car is completely sanded, re mask it for clear coat and apply your best clear over the sanded single stage. The finish is unbelievable and the color retention you will achieve is second to none. Because you sanded the single stage, (with the proper gun and equipment), your clear should be extremely slick requiring very little sand and buff effort. It is hard to beat that clear coat depth, and clear sands and buffs much easier that single stages. Not such a mess. I know this makes a little more work but I assure you its something to stand proud of.

I do this with all my single stage paints, if the costumer is paying enough of course, because I know its gonna hold true for a very long time. Single stage and base coat/clear coat each have great qualities. Combine the best of both.......

Just my opinion......And I of course understand that our builds will never see the abuse that Air Craft get. They are usually pampered and garage kept, But, I just threw it out there. Because I know this works for the long haul.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Keep dreaming if you want to, I'm building mine!

I too have painted airframes of all sorts. Jets and Heli's, private and commercial. A lot of these are pressurized cabins, and those that are not are still well abused. The corrosion protection of single stage should not (and I have never seen in practice) outweigh that of dual stage. Corrosion protection comes from the undercoat and preparation. I think painting with a single stage, waiting for it to dry, and sanding and spraying clear over it is a painfully slow process that wouldn't have any benefit. You have to remember that too much material is as detrimental to a finish as too little material. Standard base clear will be great on any of the cars being built here. Just my .02.

Hi mac

Personally i would use a basecoat and clearcoat even if it's a non metallic buddy

You can get a far better Finnish and you can polish up the clearcoat and get a glass type Finnish.i have I'n past on cars for show or for stands painted I'n basecoat with 2 coats of clearcoat then I've wet flatted and then re laquerd to get an extra glossy deep shine.time consuming but worth it..

What colour are you going for buddy ??

OK - OK - OK You all talked me into the 2 stage finish.

Thanks for making up my mind guys.

I am concidering using a Red Nason base with Nason Selectclear 497. Do you all think one gal of each would be enough or shoud I go for 2 gal of the clear just to be safe?

Mitch,
    I appreciate your long wright up explaining your best practices. Although this build won’t see the abuse a daily driver will receive. It will spend more time in the garage than anywhere else.

For that reason, I think the standard 2 stage will last for many years without issue.

macgyver 2 stage and all you need is one gallon, actually you will have some left . good luck