Thread: Registration and Light questions

Registration and Light questions

Hello!
    I am planning on building a custom tube frame carbon bodied open-wheel car and haven't been able to find much info on lighting requirements...
    Do you need to use DOT approved housings or can you use projector headlights mounted in the body and LEDs for brake lights?
    Currently I live in Colorado however I may be moving to California in the next few years...
    What are the requirements for titling, lighting, emissions, and noise? And any other laws I should be concerned about? (in both states)
    Thanks!
    Greg
    P.S. feel free to point me to another tread that I may have missed.

Here's some sources to check out.

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2013 Vehicle Code General Provisions and Divisions 1 thru 18: Table of Contents
    Vehicle Code Appendix B List of Violations Division 12 Equipment of Vehicles
    California Vehicle Code Division 12 Chapter 2 Article 2 Table of Contents
    Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control
    Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles

Hella 50mm Headlamp Modules and 50mm Fog Module
    Hella 90mm Headlamp Modules
    Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Products Catalog
    Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
    Super Bright LEDs – Clearance, Marker and Tail Lights for Trucks
    Adventure Accessories Off-Road Lighting
    Pacer LED Mini Tailgate Running Lights | Lowest Price Guarantee
    Headwinds: Headlights and related items.
    Grote Industries: Stop-Tail-Turn Lamps
    LPC series License Plate Light
    Dual "Wave" ET Custom Headlight Black for Harley-Davidson and Any Motorcycle Exomotive — Black Dual "Wave" ET Custom Headlight
    Chrome Dual Bulb Wave Headlight Assembly For Harley | eBay
    Flush Mount Trailer Lights | etrailer.com
    (2) White 2" Round 9 LED Custom Mini Reverse Backup Lights / Grommets / Wires : Amazon.com : Automotive

More info on those last items...

Super Bright LEDs – Clearance, Marker and Tail Lights for Trucks
    Truck Lights & Lamps | Truck/Trailer | Super Bright LEDs
    Adventure Accessories Off-Road Lighting
    Adventure Accessories, Off-Road Lighting for Less!!!
    Pacer LED Mini Tailgate Running Lights | Lowest Price Guarantee
    Pacer Mini Tailgate Running Lights - Tailgate Light - 15in Mini Tailgate Light
    Headwinds: Headlights and related items.
    http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=0201
    LPC series License Plate Light
    2 SMD LED License Plate Light | LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs
    Dual "Wave" ET Custom Headlight Black for Harley-Davidson and Any Motorcycle
    Dual "Wave" ET Custom Headlight Black for Harley-Davidson and Any Motorcycle
    Exomotive — Black Dual "Wave" ET Custom Headlight
    Exomotive — Black Dual Wave ET Custom Headlight
    Chrome Dual Bulb Wave Headlight Assembly For Harley | eBay
    Chrome Dual Bulb Wave Headlight Assembly for Harley | eBay
    (2) White 2" Round 9 LED Custom Mini Reverse Backup Lights / Grommets / Wires : Amazon.com : Automotive

WOW! Thank you! That is everything I need and more!

I think I would build it for California. A California build would require an engine that is approved for that State (think a 3800 Buick N/A or something like that). Headlights have to be 16 inches off the ground. Tail lights don't matter as long as you have two and an idiot light and license plate light. Turn signals are another matter. (I would wright to the DMV in California on that one). You will DOT windows and windshield. Titling goes with the engine. Look in builds under 355 Ferrari's to get more info.

Regards,

Dave (FunnyWheels)
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks for the reply Dave!
    I was planning on building toward Cali specs because I'm pretty sure Colorado doesn't really care much. Is there a list of engines allowed? I was planning on an Audi 5 cylinder SOHC 10V turbo engine that I would run a supercharger on (They came in mid/late 80s model audis). My plan is to make something simular to the Auto Union Type-D, so is wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet an acceptable replacement for DOT windsheild etc.? And for the headlights any laws reguarding spacing between them?
    This project is still very much in the R&D stage and I may be starting it this summer, I already have some CAD chassis designs done and I am working on coming up with a solution for the wheels/tires. I just want to make sure I will be able to drive it once its finished!

It is pretty complicated in California. Headlights actually have to be a minimum of 22" off the ground, not 16". I think they have to be at or forward of the front wheel centerline but that is speculation. Width I do not know about.
    Most SCV (Specially Constructed Vehicle) registrations have to be with an engine that is legal to sell OEM in the state but under SB100 there is more flexibility (the SB 100 waivers are limited to 500/year). No windshield is required but if you have one then there may be regs on what it is.

I recall that reverse lights and windshield wipers are required in Calif as well. But that was in 2001 when I did my Cobra.

A CHP inspection is made to make sure you are not using a stolen engine, transmission, or chasis.

DMV will want receipts for all the parts so they can assess a value to the car.