Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any questions on pre-paring car for paint/painting and polishing etc

any questions on pre-paring car for paint/painting and polishing etc

hi everyone

just a quick post to say if anyone has any queries about pre-paring a car for paint and the procedure using polyester etc you are always welcome to use this post to ask me any questions or send me a private pm

i have been asked a few times about how to do certain things so heres a post to ask them in if any info needed

many regards

beemabuild

Hi there,

I am planning on primering my car myself.
    Will i be ok just spraying it in a regular home garage?
    Do i need a booth?
    what primer is best for Fiberglass?
    Also, how many coats of Primer before i start block sanding? What grit do you recommend when blocking and getting ready for base coat?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by notnilc20; 03-25-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notnilc20 View Post
    Hi there,

I am planning on primering my car myself.
    Will i be ok just spraying it in a regular home garage?
    Do i need a booth?
    what primer is best for Fiberglass?
    Also, how many coats of Primer before i start block sanding? What grit do you recommend when blocking and getting ready for base coat?
    My car will be white and i plan on using a grey color primer. How many coats of base and primer do you recommend?

Thanks!!
    Hi buddy

Yes painting in a garage is possible.ile run through a few steps on what and how to do it.

First off you need to finish fibreglass in 180-320 I normally block over the gel coat to smooth it down a little.do all the prep and finish as above in 180-320

Then if you want a straight fibreglass free finish then you need to polyester it.
    If you do polyester it needs to be done in a dry warm environment and don't wet the floor.as polyester sucks in moisture and you don't want that to happen.

2-3 coats then guide coat with black and block flat using 180 320 and finish off with soft pads on blocks. till desired finish.if possible do not pre clean or wet the polyester as mentioned above it soaks in moisture.

Then put on 2 coats of high build primer.if your painting it white use a white or very light grey primer so the white looks brighter.darker the primer it can darken the topcoat.

Block all that again and if possible do it dry or if you do wet flat try not to go through primer or the water can absorb into the polyester same as above.if it does it can absorb and cause blistering in sunny weather.

If you dry flat I use a 500 then finish off with 1000 then if I havnt gone through primer I give a quick wet flat to get rid of scratches but steer clear of edges.

Then your ready for topcoat

So dry conditions for polyester and keep it from getting wet or cleaning it off with pre clean.
    Do not wet flat through 2-pack into polyester.

Hopefully I havnt missed anything buddy but if you need step by step while doing the work let me know

There's always differs t ways to do the job but this is the best option for me ..

beeman gave a good breakdown, I would just add that a good compressor, and decent spray gun and understanding of it's adjustments are necessary. Also, I would highly recommend that if you spray it in you garage, you "tent" the car. You can purchase Zip Walls from Home Depot, and make it easy, or make a wooden frame to staple some plastic to. Put a light colored tarp down on the floor, and vent it out at the bottom of the garage door. This will keep the evil overspray in the homemade booth, and off your benches and floors, and out of the house. It's important to keep these fumes and overspray out of the house, and off of your stuff. These products will stick to almost anything, and can be terribly harmful to breath. Use respirators, even when you are stirring and mixing the paint, because you don't want to hurt yourself or others.

Oh good thanks. So i will polyester the car before the high build primer. This is very helpful info. Thanks alot to both of you.

hi notnilc20

yes mate polyester is done first then 2-pack to seal it all in.

when using polyester use a 2.0 or 2.2 nozle spraygun as its thick and wont come out of a 1.8 or smaller.you need 2-3 good coats as most will be blocked back off after,

also you need at least 2.0 bar pressure to spray this stuff.

do not overload first coat as it can be too thick and pop after 2nd or 3rd coats gone on.

so first coat is semi wet to start off and let that flash off before next coat
    then 2nd 3rd coat pretty thick and you should be ok with a flash off between coats

i use upol reface and its a great polyester to work with and easily flatted

if possible get a dust extraction vacumn and hose etc with a few blocks as this will save all the dust and mess,ive always used one and there a godsend.

mine cost me around 300 but well worth not having dust and dirt everywere.

if you need to know anything else let me know.

good advice also from rushaved.

make you you were mask and keep well ventilated as 2-pack is very dangerous and can stick like s__t to a blanket lol

regards
    beemaman

hi everyone

just putting together a few pics and video of polyester process.

im just doing the frt of a 208gtb and im using polyester so thought id give some advice on how its done and whats involved.

soon as ive got some more done ile post up what ive done so far

Here the process so far
    Attached Images Attached Images      

hi everyone

just putting together a few pics and video of polyester process.

im just doing the frt of a 208gtb and im using polyester so thought id give some advice on how its done and whats involved.

soon as ive got some more done ile post up what ive done so far

ok first pic is car all repaired and ready to polyester.first off im using a booth so it is slighty warm at a steady 25 degrees
    but you can polyseter in garage but try and get some heat into there or do it on a sunny warm day.

also do not wet floor as it can absorb the moisture into the polyester and thats bad...

then pic 3 shows a tack clothe to get rid of as much dirt as possible before first coat goes on..

ok ready for polyester.mix the polyester which i use is upol reface,ile post some pics up.when mixing try not to make the polyseter too froffy when stiring.use nice slow mix movements that way it reduces air bubbles in polyester

use a 2.0 or 2.2 gun,i use a cheap one as polyseter is something i dont do much and can damage a expensive gun.

next pics show first coat is a nice semi wet coat and you can see through so not too thick.use about 2 bar pressure

let that flash off before the next coat goes on and then put on 2 more coats a bit thicker with a flash off between coats then your done.

clean gun asap as this stuff goes off really quick..
    Last edited by beemaman; 04-04-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Here's a few more pics with 3 coats of polyester on
    Attached Images Attached Images