Thread: how to fix a one dim headlight on my nissan 720 ute

how to fix a one dim headlight on my nissan 720 ute

My cars headlight on the passenger side is dim and the high beam doesn't work. I don't know how to fix this problem and I haven't got much money to pay an auto electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.171 View Post
    My cars headlight on the passenger side is dim and the high beam doesn't work. I don't know how to fix this problem and I haven't got much money to pay an auto electrician.
    Check the ground to that headlight, and check the battery grounds, etc. Make sure the high beam is not burned out before troubleshooting that one, but dim lights typically indicate a ground issue.

It’s typical for an older cars headlight terminals to get corroded over time. You may be able to simply clean the contacts on the headlight with a piece of sand paper and plug it back in. If you still don’t have a high beam and do not have anything to test it with, switch it with the other headlight and see if it works then.
    Many auto parts stores also have new headlight pigtails you can replace. I bought some last month at a flea market for about 2 dollars.

Yea I've heard about the earth from the headlight but I don't know where it is. The lights are sealed beams and they are brand new ( as I thought this would fix the problem ) I put a new head light and high beam light in but they are both still dim and the car is a nissan 720 1985 model. I thought it could be a short in the wiring harness between the drivers side light and the passenger side lights. And help would be much appreciated

There are 3 wires going to each headlight
    low beam
    high beam
    Ground

Find out what wire is the ground and run another wire directly to the frame of the car

Make sure the connections are very clean. Hopefully that will fix your problem. If not, you will have to trace the other two wires to find the short.

Hope this helps.

On the normal headlight there are 3 wires in a triangle connector ( 2 on either side and one underneath when you are looking at it from above ) would the wire that connects to the bottom prong on the headlight be the earth and do I just connect another wire from the earth connection on the light and connect it to the frame with a clean connection and also my high beams in the mid section of the car don't work unless you take out the inner headlight on the passenger side. All this is new to me so I have no idea. But it's good to learn on.

When looking at the headlight while it is connected (looking top down while its shining on your legs) the center terminal should be in the top position. The ground is the right side terminal. Run a jumper to battery ground as a test.
    If the headlight fuse blows or you have serious sparks your headlights are wired a different way. Some manufacturers run 12volts to the headlight ground terminal and switch the other two terminals at the dimmer switch.

Wait, the wiring schematics for that vehicle show it has high beam (2wire) and low beam (3wire) lights that are different bulbs.
    Red is grounded from the headlight relay 87A (normally closed) terminal - all 4 headlights are grounded by the red wire.
    Red/yellow stripe (relay 87 terminal normally open) controls the low beam by grounding this wire and disconnecting the red.
    Red/Blue wire is left side headlight power supply from the headlight switch.
    Red/Black wire is right side headlight power supply from the headlight switch.
    Red/Blue and Red/Black stay 12volts all the time when the headlights are on and the hi/lo switch is done with the grounds through the headlight relay.
    I suspect the problem is in your red wire as there are 6 splices to jump all the lights including the hi beam indicator bulb.