Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUPPORT FRAME [G28 Roadster on Stretched MR2]

I am making mine now! refer to my build diary.

Basically once you decided where the body should be on the car, you first create support frames for the SIDE ROCKERS to place them at the perfect spot Height and Distance wise in regards to the donors lower door rockers.
    Last edited by am33r; 07-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.

How do you determine where this position is? - What is the 'donors lower door rocker' ? I assume the rocker is the lower vent panel, so what is it you are referring to on the fiero body? Man, I am too much of a newbie...

"Rockers" on the kit are the panels with vents (: and on the donor they are the metal below the door (in ur case the metal stretch subframe that hosts the Fiero tub and goes around the whole donor car).

How do we know where the kits sits on the donor?

Front to rear: make sure the wheels are in the center of wheel wells (especially front wheels so you have maximum turning without rubbing the kit).

Side to side: make sure the windshield opening on the kit is symmetrical to the center of the dash on the donor, and wheels are equal distances from the edge of the wheel well (flush or whatever)... And the rear if the car needs to look symmetrical.

How high should the kit sit?

Make the best judgement for ur windshield opening view and headrest clearance height.
    Joe must have made ur kit and so he also made ur Fiero subframe (: the kit should sit as needed.

with all that done, your kits rockers should now be the height u need and you can attach them to the 54" iron bar and weld that bar to the car

On the 10th week of the build we mounted the Kit.

It should look similar to Mitch's 5 Piece frame

Front End. One must shave the MR2 bumper 'upper lip' to create a flat horizontal plane first, and cut off the top two corners of the Bumper Support to allow suitable room for headlight unit install.

Name:  Front Bumper Support.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  45.0 KB

Front of the kit rests PERFECTLY on the Front Bumper Support of the MR2.

Name:  Front Bumper Support 2.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  52.1 KB

The rear end needs a lifted bridge to carry the lower trunk panel of the Fiberglass kit.

Name:  Rear End Support.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  20.6 KB

It welds exactly at the end of the Chassis Square Pipes (In my pic I just tacked it 2" further down but I moved it back later).

Name:  Trunk Support.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  43.0 KB

Side Rocker Support. Two of those are needed, one for each side.

We must extend a bridge outside the width of the MR2 with one side being heigher than the other so the perfect example uses a 2" Square Tube towards the back, and a 1" Square tube towards the front.

Name:  Side Rocker Support Frame.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  41.4 KB

In my case, I doubled the height with two 1" square tubings on one side and only one on the other... I also added one in the center - a bit different, but reached the same result.

Pics in the next post (each post allows only 5 pics)
    Last edited by am33r; 07-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Left Rocker Support Frame

Name:  Left Rocker Support.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  49.4 KB

Here are pics of my mechanic standing on the panels after we mounted them

Name:  Testing Strength of Frame 1.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  Testing Strength of Frame 2.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  49.0 KB

Cross Bar Support

This I have yet to make, I will make it when I take the kit off the car one last time but it should reach accross the cabin ash shown in Mitch's work in the early posts of this thread - It creates mounts to the headrest humps on the kit. It can reach back and create mounts under the batwing panels.

That is an explanation of my 5-Piece Support Frame for the Roadster G28 Kit on a Stretched MR2.

Notes

For safety and durability, a Door Frame should be assembled. Here are mine

Name:  Week 11 Pics 015.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  89.2 KB

And a Windshield Frame as shown in the earlier pics from the Extreme builds. I will post a pic of mine once I install it.

I hope this helps whoever needs this done one day.

IF SOMEONE NEEDS ALL THESE PARTIAL FRAMES MADE FOR THEM LEMME KNOW, MY WELDER WILL MAKE THEM AT AN INEXPENSIVE PRICE LATER
    Last edited by am33r; 07-12-2013 at 02:28 AM.

That door has a huge gap along the wheel well curve. How does that seal properly? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PKovach View Post
    That door has a huge gap along the wheel well curve. How does that seal properly? Thanks!
    The center door card shown above doesnt have to seal that gap, it however does seal against the opening in the main frame via weather stripping. The outer door skin (not shown above) is curved perfectly like the car and seals the gap shown perfectly

Frame dimensions

Attached is a shot of my frame with rough dimensions =

Do these seem correct? My body is sitting very oddly and I cannot see what is wrong - this frame looks like the fiero ones other folks made also

Thanks!
    Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  frame vs. door inside 3.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  93.0 KB
    Here is a shot looking down in the door. See how far the fiberglass is from the frame - is this correct?

If so, what do you do to fill this gap?!
    Thanks!
    Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PKovach; 07-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.

I see the pic of the Frame alone and understand it - but I don't understand the picture of ur car "looking down the door"... We need a pic from far to understand what "seems to be wrong with this Stretch Frame"